News:

OK fuckers, let me out of here. I farted for you, what more do you want from me? Jesus fuck.

Main Menu

ITT - COMIC BOOK NERDS ONLY

Started by E.O.T., February 11, 2010, 07:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freeky

Quote from: Annabel the Destroyer on February 12, 2010, 01:34:59 AM
Quote from: Nurse Mayhem on February 11, 2010, 08:14:06 PM
"Transmetropolitan"  :fap:

Fuck yeah, this.

Transmetropolitan is the only comic book I've read that I really loved. Deadpool is alright too, has its moments but Transmetropolitan is 100% awesome from start to finish.

Thirded!

Faust

Quote from: E.O.T. on February 11, 2010, 11:57:50 PM

I started picking up the new Batwoman story arc of Detective Comics because a friend said the art rocks, which it does, sort of deco influenced layout, excellent colours - but (the writer) Rucka is too far on the wrong side of nerd to make me believe the cliche'd hipster bad girl grit.

While the art is great for the batwoman arc the story is appalling. If you are going to be reading detective comics start at 824 with paul dini's run, skip any issue he didn't write. His run is fantastic.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

the last yatto

civilwar
Secret Invasion/Illumanti
then dark regin
dark beast was kinda creepy

then...

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Faust

Quote from: Pēleus on February 12, 2010, 09:05:29 AM
civilwar
Secret Invasion/Illumanti
then dark regin
dark beast was kinda creepy

then...

Really. I would consider those the archtype of super hero comics, with some of the worst case examples of what is wrong with mainstream comics, decompression so there is very little going on, overly dramatic showboating, and the writers hands being tied so that the status quo is maintained.

E.O.T.

THANKS EVERYONE

I've got a good list of stuff to keep me busy in the reads, especially the Warren Ellis tip. I took a look around my favourite local comic shop last night and Ellis is the sea of material to dig into that I'm looking for, for sure. I noticed he's a bit all over the place, is his stuff like "armored wars" as worth reading as his more original stuff? RE: "doktor sleepless" - a comic which within two pages has a dj playing a muslimgauze remix and a Timothy McVeigh flyer plastered outside of a club is creating a dark alley which I'm so totally walking down just to see what happens.

FAUST

Your opinion - I say yes, to all of it. Thanks for the Dini suggestion, I've never read any of his stuff.
"a good fight justifies any cause"

Doktor Howl

Quote from: E.O.T. on February 12, 2010, 09:06:41 PM
THANKS EVERYONE

I've got a good list of stuff to keep me busy in the reads, especially the Warren Ellis tip. I took a look around my favourite local comic shop last night and Ellis is the sea of material to dig into that I'm looking for, for sure. I noticed he's a bit all over the place, is his stuff like "armored wars" as worth reading as his more original stuff? RE: "doktor sleepless" - a comic which within two pages has a dj playing a muslimgauze remix and a Timothy McVeigh flyer plastered outside of a club is creating a dark alley which I'm so totally walking down just to see what happens.

FAUST

Your opinion - I say yes, to all of it. Thanks for the Dini suggestion, I've never read any of his stuff.

Hey, if you're going to read Ellis, I suggest you start with his novel ("Crooked Little Vein"), then Transmetropolitan, then everything else.  Reason being, those are the only two things he ever finished, and it gets kind of old getting into a series, and then having it just end.

Also, don't waste your money on "Gravel", by Ellis.  It's crap.
Molon Lube

the last yatto

Quote from: Faust on February 12, 2010, 02:30:01 PM
Really. I would consider those the archtype of super hero comics, with some of the worst case examples of what is wrong with mainstream comics, decompression so there is very little going on, overly dramatic showboating, and the writers hands being tied so that the status quo is maintained.

i think this recent set of series isnt so flat. while the skrull invasion was kinda meh, the storyline next built on that
and they employed a writer just to do all the comics under their marvel universe into one storyline

problem that is that they have many universes that they like to play with.
orgins ultimates etc
fans get confused where the story they are reading fits in the timeline

the ones i named and not the zombie or primate universes, are in order and has a good plot

Hobgoblin replacing Iron man is maintaining the status quo :?
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Faust

Quote from: Pēleus on February 12, 2010, 09:52:43 PM
Quote from: Faust on February 12, 2010, 02:30:01 PM

i think this recent set of series isnt so flat. while the skrull invasion was kinda meh, the storyline next built on that
and they employed a writer just to do all the comics under their marvel universe into one storyline

problem that is that they have many universes that they like to play with.
orgins ultimates etc
fans get confused where the story they are reading fits in the timeline

the ones i named and not the zombie or primate universes, are in order and has a good plot

Hobgoblin replacing Iron man is maintaining the status quo :?
I have never liked anything of the ultimates universe, it started off attempting new ideas, it sold well, and then got railroaded into its own clichés which aren't that much more interesting.
Marvels best stuff of the last few years has been the stuff that got neglected or was so far removed from the mainstream continuety that it could not be tied down into any other event.
My favorite Marvel stuff of the last few years has been Annihilation (a space opera involving galactus, the kree, scrull and some other sidelined characters). It was FANTASTIC, and the reason it was so creative was that it was overlooked by the marvel execs.
The other series was cable and deadpool. I started reading C+D at around issue six or seven and was shocked at its brilliant humor and actually writing good dialog and doing the most unimaginable thing possible: making cable a well rounded stylish political character as opposed to the haughty self importance over drama that is so prevalent in marvel, or the GRITTY mess that was the nineties and rob liefield.
That comic skyrocketed in popularity and became one of marvels best sellers.
What do they do to reward the writers and fans?
Force them to tie C+D into a shitty x-men event, end the series and stick cable into a self important overly dramatic GRITTY mess and launch two badly written deadpool comics assuming the fans would eat that shit up.

Of the Events:

House of M
intriguing idea: All the mutants would lose their powers.
Actuality: Jubilee lost her powers, and everyone else lost theirs for about 20 seconds.

Civil war:
intriguing idea: A politically motivated story that is has no black and white morality villains, but rather interesting commentary on the perhaps misguided nature of secret identities. Also captain America will die
Actuality: Black and white morality story where Tony stark is dick dastardly. Spider-man reveals his identity to the world. World has its mind wiped. Black Goliath dies.

I didn't read secret invasion but I wouldn't expect much from it.
I heard from a reliable friend that World war hulk was good but i doubt it.
Dark reign has been interesting so far and I have to commend them on making norman osborn leader of the avengers and giving the Sentry a pivotal role but otherwise I'm no longer that interested, and the status quo has already been confirmed to be coming back within the next two months.
When iron man (tony stark), captain America(steve rogers) and thor reform the avengers (they are as status quo as it gets).
Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 12, 2010, 09:22:31 PM
Quote from: E.O.T. on February 12, 2010, 09:06:41 PM
THANKS EVERYONE

FAUST

Hey, if you're going to read Ellis, I suggest you start with his novel ("Crooked Little Vein"), then Transmetropolitan, then everything else.  Reason being, those are the only two things he ever finished, and it gets kind of old getting into a series, and then having it just end.

Also, don't waste your money on "Gravel", by Ellis.  It's crap.
Also anna mercury is pretty bad, but planetary is awesome, read planetary.

nuclearcabbage

SOME COMICS IVE READ OR FOUND INTERESTING IN THE PAST:

V for Vendetta (this comic is the shit, better than the film, AND its full of ant-establishment crazyness)

im currently reading through the Sandman series..
its pretty fucking cool, deals with a cast of personified archetypes such as death and dream and delirium and other d words...

Tank Girl is pretty fucking entertaining to read as well!
lots of wacky detailed frames and even some random discordian type references..
(in one story the tank is about to face imminent destruction by falling off a bridge, but then,(ALAS!) the button labeled 23 is pressed and everything is fine.
SOMEHOW, everything is fine.
a button that places the events necessary for a situation to have a desired outcome (not death in this case) into action.

SYNCHROTASTIC!
><><><><><><

Bu🤠ns

The Preacher by Garth Ennis
Lazarus Churchyard by Warren Ellis.
Anything by David Mack-- I adore his art style...even the Kubuki series is wonderfully artistic pen work combined with a pretty cool story.

Fell WOULD have been amazing.  I Ellis may have been getting tired of trying to cram so much material in a 9 panel/page format. I liked his idea of selling a cheap $2.50 comic--I'd go and buy a weekly graphic novel and a copy of Fell for a while and now....well fuck all that.

Iason Ouabache

Scud - The Disposable Assassin was a pretty good series. I need to finish reading it, actually.

You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Suu

Quote from: Burns on February 13, 2010, 04:59:08 AM
Anything by David Mack-- I adore his art style...even the Kubuki series is wonderfully artistic pen work combined with a pretty cool story.

Fell WOULD have been amazing.  I Ellis may have been getting tired of trying to cram so much material in a 9 panel/page format. I liked his idea of selling a cheap $2.50 comic--I'd go and buy a weekly graphic novel and a copy of Fell for a while and now....well fuck all that.

Preacher was fucking AWESOME.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Suu on February 13, 2010, 06:35:33 AM
Quote from: Burns on February 13, 2010, 04:59:08 AM

Preacher was fucking AWESOME.

It literally was the spark to years of renewed childhood comicbook lust.

Shai Hulud

Quote from: E.O.T. on February 11, 2010, 07:32:23 PM
I'm kinda interested in something more original to dig into, rather than the millionth Batman story. I need suggestions for my comic addiction.

You should check out the Moskon Review.  It's one of my personal favorites and it really doesn't get much more original that Moskonovitch.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Horrendous Foreign Love Stoat on February 13, 2010, 03:10:53 AM
2000AD. best comic ever IMO. It's never, ever, ever, sucked.

{Edit} also E.O.T, I take it you are aware of Comical.exe and the wonders of comic book torrents? Not implying your not, I'm just 'sayin in case you miss on a pile of awesome.  :mrgreen:

I assume that is a CBZ/CBR reader? Is it better than CDisplay? How is it different?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.