News:

Today, for a brief second, I thought of a life without Roger. It was much like my current life, except that this forum was a bit nicer.

Main Menu

The Kaousuu Weather Network: Hurricane Earl

Started by Suu, August 30, 2010, 02:10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Doktor Princess on September 01, 2010, 01:15:44 AM

My family has GREAT pictures of what Gloria did to Long Island...it knocked down 7 trees in our backyard, we had no power for 2 weeks and we got infested with ticks.

WTF?  Did you piss Moses off or something?   :lulz:
Molon Lube

Suu

They came in off the downed trees and from the flooded woods behind the house that separated us from the LIRR. It really wasn't fun.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

And now we're in the 3 day cone.

My dad is pretty sure we won't get it, and that it will bounce off of Cape Cod (But will still make Friday and Saturday miserable.)

I dunno...I'm feeling this one. I think it could be a solid hit. I haven't had a direct hit by a hurricane in Rhode Island YET, and I've lived here for 8 years. Tropical storms, yes, remnants of named storms, yes, but not a full blown cyclone. Gloria was a direct hit for us when we lived on Long Island and I was 3.

The conditions are right. There's high pressure systems to the West and East which is creating a channel for the storm to beeline us.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Sir Squid Diddimus

I'm so leaning back in my chair all "better you than me" style.

HAW HAW NE-sterners!

it was breezy today. weather was nice.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Suu

Quote from: Sir Squid Diddimus on September 01, 2010, 04:20:54 AM
I'm so leaning back in my chair all "better you than me" style.

HAW HAW NE-sterners!

it was breezy today. weather was nice.

Today was hot and stagnant with a high of 92. Tomorrow is going to be the same...I couldn't imagine where all your moisture is getting thrown.  :roll:

Well, at least unlike Florida, we're mostly above sea level, except for downtown Providence, but that's what the hurricane barrier and levees are for, just like in NOLA, RITE?

Sir Squid Diddimus

For once, Florida isn't the place that sucks.
I kinda like this.

KING ON THROWN I TELL YA!

hurrrrrrrrrrrrr

Suu

Are you kidding? This time of the year is the BEST time of year in Rhode Island! I get to watch the stupid wash out to sea when they try to swim in rip currents.

Look at how excited I was for Bill!

I'm one of the only people in this damn state that thinks, "Batteries, candles, ice, and beer" for hurricanes rather than, "Milk and bread" like it's some sort of blizzard. (And everyone knows the correct course of action for a blizzard is chips, salsa, and Sambuca, duh.)

I've paddled canoes down streets like gondolas!

I've sandbagged next to the mayor of St. Petersburg!

I've scooped dead stingrays out of my swimming pool!

I'M A GODDAMN INDUSTRY PROFESSIONAL!!!!

Being here during a hurricane is going to be like surviving a zombie outbreak, and I'm the only one with the technology to beat them.

DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?!?!

THIS IS MY CHANCE TO FINALLY TAKE OVER AS SOVEREIGN PRINCESS. ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY FLORIDIAN WHO HAS SAVED US FROM THE HURRICANE!

BOW TO ME YOU INCOMPETENT NORTHERNERS!

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA*COUGH*HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Sir Squid Diddimus

Sounds like somebody been hittin da jooce.

::makes drinking gesture with hand with crooked smile::

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 01, 2010, 05:39:25 AM
whoa

This is why I'm driving further into the projected path of the hurricane.  It's either Earl or powermad Suu.  I chose the one more likely to let me live another day.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Doktor Princess on September 01, 2010, 01:17:33 AM
Also, as of the 5pm advisory, the Outer Banks are now under a hurricane watch.

shitfuck. that means we are going to have to evacuate the ship further upriver, thus most likely screwing my plans for the weekend.

also, I remember Gloria. It hit southern Maine too. It was the first time, in fact, that my dad ever got physically angry with me.

dad: "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING OUTSIDE?!?"

me: "Look! If I open my raincoat and jump into the wind I can fly all the way across the yard!"

dad: (comes out and literally kicks me in the ass until I'm back inside) "I HOPE YOU DON'T THINK THAT 8 IS TOO YOUNG TO BE GROUNDED FOREVER."
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Suu

I have to see if I can get copies of those pictures. For a storm that hit at what? I know it was a 4, but when it hit LI it was only a 2 or 3, but holy shit the damage it did was amazing. Gloria bulldozed her way across New England.

My brother was a newborn, like, not even a month old when it hit, and I just remember having to stay in the basement in the house we were in with our upstairs neighbors for what seemed like hours. I remember the power going out and the hurricane lanterns, and I remember going upstairs during the eye, or rather, following my dad and our neighbors upstairs even though I wasn't supposed to right when the eyewall was coming back around.

I remember my dad go, "GET BACK DOWN! IT'S COMING BACK! GO GO GO!" And getting dragged back down into the basement like, "Huh? What?"

And then I was mad that all the trees were gone, and didn't understand that they couldn't grow back right way.

Freeky

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 01, 2010, 04:21:45 AM
I can't remember the last hurricane to hit Tucson.
:lulz: Probably it was way back when Tucson was still sleeping.

Kai

I was hoping it would veer right into the South Carolina Coast. Would be incredible to witness.

Oh well, plenty more this year I'm sure.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish