News:

If it quacks like a sociopath, but also ponders its own sociopathy, it's probably just an asshole.

Main Menu

A Solution (RE: A Problem)

Started by Kai, October 07, 2010, 02:29:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Fair enough, peasant.

LMNO
-A man of privilege.

Don Coyote

Hey I WAS raised middle class. :argh!: Ergo I am MOAR authentic and cool. :lulz: WHY WON'T THE COOL KIDS HANG OUT WITH ME :cry:

Freeky

I want to say we were middle class, and my mom was raised in low upper middle class, but I'm pretty sure that WE were po' broke.

East Coast Hustle

I admit to having carried a class-based chip on my shoulders for most of my life. It's taking some time for me to get used to having recently jumped from "working class" to "lower-middle class". Hopefully I can get my head around it by november so I can do the proper thing and vote Republican.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

I feel like I need to buy a monacle now.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I was raised is a Classic Home, that is, it was built before several of the Classics were written.
Founded a year after the Civil War, it had railroad ties as the foundation, originally four rooms. The bathroom had been a porch until the previous owners decided to go for indoor plumbing, the kitchen had been an outbuilding until the previous owners added a room on and I finally got my own bedroom after my dad built in the front proch.

The old outhouse outside was definitely high class as it was a three seater, with the third hole being rather small so kids wouldn't fall in. It was also high tech, it had a long low door in the back  to facilitate shoveling it out occasionally.

Much higher class than my Mom's side of the family as they still use the outhouse.

:lulz:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Jenne

I'm not entirely sure what a hipster is, exactly, but I'm pretty sure I'm not one.  My existence is both too vanilla and too exotic at the same time to be one, I fear.  Not that I'd aspire to be anything but myself, which is an odd mixture of who you think I am and who you don't know.  If that makes any damned sense...what's nice is that I'm truly a what-you-see-is-what-you-get (which you can ask Liam up there about, as he's met me).

As for the great "class" debate--my parents grew up shit-poor, my mom from the midwest-by-way-of-South, and my dad had artsy but shit-poor working class folks (true Catholics with 9 kids in a 3 bed, 1 bath house in Orange County back when the place got its name from the orange groves surrounding it) in So Cal, by way of the midwest.

My dad being who he is became entrepreurial, got some cash (for which he's now doing time), and we lived high on the hog as only the nouveau riche could once I was out of high school (we were lower-to-middle class back then, always gaining and losing the shirts off our backs, it's kinda hilarious, really).  I was the first to graduate with a higher degree in my family.  But my dad paid for it.  With embezzled funds.

So now my parents are poorer than they've ever been (ever been in hock to the government for $144 mil?  yeah, me neither).  And I married a rich Afghan who grew up in the 14th century with servants.

And he's a doctor, so we're pretty much lower upper to higher middle class.  But we drive 10+ year old cars...and only just the past couple of years started doing things like going on vacation, because he almost died one year so we figure you live once--who needs a trust fund, anyway?