News:

Christians *have* to sin.
If they don't, it's like Christ died for nothing.

Main Menu

A Solution (RE: A Problem)

Started by Kai, October 07, 2010, 02:29:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on October 08, 2010, 08:03:22 PM
Quote from: Sigmatic on October 07, 2010, 03:45:49 AM
Not in my mind.  Your manner seems to hearken back to an uncomplicated definition of 'cool'.  Instead of sweating the depths of ironic/sincere recursivity, you're just doing a thing that feels right, and making it yours.  That's where cool normally comes from.  As Wikipedia says, "uncool redirects here".   That's the point.

I know someone who truly believes "cool" is a function of popularity.  They're one of my best friends despite this.

I have met people who think cool is authenticity, as your garden variety hipsters do.  They fetishize it to an absurd degree.  It's unreal.

I don't know what coolness is, but I have my doubts that it has a static value.

I think that the dialogue of defining "cool" and defining "authentic" is a core part of wannabeism.

Wait.

Just talking about it makes you a wannabe?
Molon Lube

Juana

I like style. Style is not necessarily dependent on the current fads, I will wear what I think is stylish, and I will tell whoever feels that it isn't cool to fuck off.

Quote from: Cramulus on October 08, 2010, 04:29:59 PM
just to interject a tangent:

my problem with gap/old navy/banana republic is their history unethical labor practices in third world countries. Their operations in the Honduras were only a smidgen different than slave labor. Only difference is that they made the slaves sign contracts.

/tangent
^ This. I need to sit down and do some research on the places I shop at, because I'm not ok with that.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 08, 2010, 04:56:47 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on October 08, 2010, 04:29:59 PM
just to interject a tangent:

my problem with gap/old navy/banana republic is their history unethical labor practices in third world countries. Their operations in the Honduras were only a smidgen different than slave labor. Only difference is that they made the slaves sign contracts.

/tangent

Just about every clothing manufacturer uses what is essentially slave labor.  Some are worse than others (Nike, etc), but even Levis and Wranglers (American made until a few years ago) are made in sweatshops now.

This is one of two prime reasons many "hipsters" only buy used/vintage clothes... the other being that they're too poor to buy new, fashionable clothes.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 08, 2010, 09:46:11 PM
Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on October 08, 2010, 08:03:22 PM
Quote from: Sigmatic on October 07, 2010, 03:45:49 AM
Not in my mind.  Your manner seems to hearken back to an uncomplicated definition of 'cool'.  Instead of sweating the depths of ironic/sincere recursivity, you're just doing a thing that feels right, and making it yours.  That's where cool normally comes from.  As Wikipedia says, "uncool redirects here".   That's the point.

I know someone who truly believes "cool" is a function of popularity.  They're one of my best friends despite this.

I have met people who think cool is authenticity, as your garden variety hipsters do.  They fetishize it to an absurd degree.  It's unreal.

I don't know what coolness is, but I have my doubts that it has a static value.

I think that the dialogue of defining "cool" and defining "authentic" is a core part of wannabeism.

Wait.

Just talking about it makes you a wannabe?

It depends on the kind of talking. If what you're doing is laying out all of the reasons why you/your friends are "cool" and "authentic" vs. the reasons other people (who you look down on) are NOT "cool" and "authentic", then yeah, you're wanting to be, i.e. a wannabe.

ie. a hipster.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Think about it. Who sits around formulating opinions about what's "cool" and "authentic", besides people who think they are, and wish to be perceived as, cool and/or authentic? It's just another version of strutting and pissing. The modern, hip version of strutting and pissing.

Kai

Here's a question for you: What person with a healthy sense of self respect /doesn't/ want to be respected as cool and authentic, whatever that might mean for that person and their particular subculture?
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Nast

As much as people would like to say that they don't care what others think, I believe the desire for acceptance and approval from your peer group is perfectly normal. It's how you act out based on that that's important.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Adios

Quote from: Nast on October 09, 2010, 02:27:29 AM
As much as people would like to say that they don't care what others think, I believe the desire for acceptance and approval from your peer group is perfectly normal. It's how you act out based on that that's important.

I have dressed and acted the same way my entire life without regard. What do you have to say to that?

Nast

Quote from: Charley Brown on October 09, 2010, 03:35:10 AM

I have dressed and acted the same way my entire life without regard. What do you have to say to that?

Well that's cool too.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Adios

Quote from: Nast on October 09, 2010, 03:37:24 AM

Well that's cool too.

Not really. I have been mocked and imitated depending on what was in style. And I still don't give a fuck.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Charley Brown on October 09, 2010, 03:39:29 AM

Well that's cool too.

Not really. I have been mocked and imitated depending on what was in style. And I still don't give a fuck.

DAMNIT. YOU ARE COOL. ACCEPT THAT. :argh!:

Adios

Quote from: Sir Coyote on October 09, 2010, 03:48:14 AM

Well that's cool too.

Only if you accept that I don't give a fuck.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Charley Brown on October 09, 2010, 03:49:22 AM

Well that's cool too.

But of course my good man.

Adios

Quote from: Sir Coyote on October 09, 2010, 04:01:46 AM
Quote from: Charley Brown on October 09, 2010, 03:49:22 AM

Well that's cool too.

But of course my good man.

I bought a Brooks and Dunn designer western shirt, and then I cut the sleeves out of it.
Hawk,
has his own agenda.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Kai on October 08, 2010, 10:50:43 PM
Here's a question for you: What person with a healthy sense of self respect /doesn't/ want to be respected as cool and authentic, whatever that might mean for that person and their particular subculture?

I suspect virtually no one, which is why, as a member of the urban progressive (relative) youth culture, I am not about to deny being a hipster. I think you get it.