Started by Kai, October 07, 2010, 02:29:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

I am trying to imagine Johnny Bravo acting like Roger

and failing. :lulz:

Freeky

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

ThatGreenGentleman

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 07, 2010, 06:34:13 PM
Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on October 07, 2010, 06:32:59 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 07, 2010, 06:31:18 PM
Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on October 07, 2010, 06:30:28 PM
Yeah, but the Japanese took it to the motherfucking wall.

Just google "harajuku" and you'll see what I mean.

I will not.

Click the link.  It's shiny!

You bastard. :crankey:

Dok, be happy it wasn't a link to "Ganguro Girls". They look fucking terrible.
As a gentleman, it is my duty to wear top-hats.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 07, 2010, 07:52:54 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 07, 2010, 05:38:34 PM
I'm going out this weekend, too.

I will be wearing blue jeans, a black t-shirt, and engineer boots.

woooooooooo
Molon Lube

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Ratatosk on October 07, 2010, 06:40:54 PM

People should dress in as many crazy outfits and styles as possible. At least its not Gap or Old Navy!!

I can't afford the Gap.

What the fuck is wrong with Old Navy?

Obviously you are not trying to dress teenagers in something they don't mind being seen in for a price you can almost afford on a single mom's salary.  Sorry if it's too gutter for ya!

Cramulus

just to interject a tangent:

my problem with gap/old navy/banana republic is their history unethical labor practices in third world countries. Their operations in the Honduras were only a smidgen different than slave labor. Only difference is that they made the slaves sign contracts.

/tangent

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cramulus on October 08, 2010, 04:29:59 PM

my problem with gap/old navy/banana republic is their history unethical labor practices in third world countries. Their operations in the Honduras were only a smidgen different than slave labor. Only difference is that they made the slaves sign contracts.

/tangent

Just about every clothing manufacturer uses what is essentially slave labor.  Some are worse than others (Nike, etc), but even Levis and Wranglers (American made until a few years ago) are made in sweatshops now.
Molon Lube

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 08, 2010, 04:56:47 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on October 08, 2010, 04:29:59 PM

/tangent

Just about every clothing manufacturer uses what is essentially slave labor.  Some are worse than others (Nike, etc), but even Levis and Wranglers (American made until a few years ago) are made in sweatshops now.

Yeah, this.  Last I checked Brooks Brothers is still American made, so if you want to buy a $70* tie, you're totally in the clear.

*Ahaha, I just wrote this thinking I was exaggerating.  I double checked, it's actually $75-$175.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

LMNO

I'd be willing to bet that $75 for a tie is only slightly marked up, and represents more closely what fair market value would be for a silk tie not made by a starving 9-year-old girl.  Those things are actually really hard to make properly; I had a friend make my tie for our wedding out of the same material as Mrs LMNO's sash, and it took a few days to get it right.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on October 08, 2010, 06:36:55 PM
I'd be willing to bet that $75 for a tie is only slightly marked up, and represents more closely what fair market value would be for a silk tie not made by a starving 9-year-old girl.  Those things are actually really hard to make properly; I had a friend make my tie for our wedding out of the same material as Mrs LMNO's sash, and it took a few days to get it right.

Oh, I'd be willing.  I think Brooks Brothers has awesome clothes.  It's a matter of, you know, being able to.  I think a very small amount of people actually are.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Kai on October 07, 2010, 02:29:24 AM
I'm a hipster.

There, I said it. Every morning, I dress up in uncool, weirdly matched clothes, I go to work staring at bug dick, I eat uncool food, I listen to uncool music, and I read uncool books. I am the epitome of weird-uncool. Therefore: I am a hipster.

My solution is to take "hipster" back from those who mock the wannabe hipsters. Besides, I'm a hipster and I do it unironically. And no wannabe hipster wants to be called a hipster, because frankly they're just pretenders. They have to pull this ironic shit so they look like they MIGHT be a hipster but then reject it outright. In some pseudo ironic non-ironic irony. Or some shit.

Besides, I liked hurdy gurdy before it was cool. And still like it even after it is cool. And will continue to like it when it is uncool again. Isn't that, truly, the definition of hipster?

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Sigmatic on October 07, 2010, 03:45:49 AM
Not in my mind.  Your manner seems to hearken back to an uncomplicated definition of 'cool'.  Instead of sweating the depths of ironic/sincere recursivity, you're just doing a thing that feels right, and making it yours.  That's where cool normally comes from.  As Wikipedia says, "uncool redirects here".   That's the point.

I know someone who truly believes "cool" is a function of popularity.  They're one of my best friends despite this.

I have met people who think cool is authenticity, as your garden variety hipsters do.  They fetishize it to an absurd degree.  It's unreal.

I don't know what coolness is, but I have my doubts that it has a static value.

I think that the dialogue of defining "cool" and defining "authentic" is a core part of wannabeism.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cramulus on October 07, 2010, 07:06:11 PM
I'm just going to take a wild stab in the dark and guess that the fire chief was a dick to these guys about not paying the "fire department subscription fee".

I confess I probably wouldn't pay a fire department subscription fee either.

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

Adios

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on October 08, 2010, 08:03:22 PM
Quote from: Sigmatic on October 07, 2010, 03:45:49 AM
Not in my mind.  Your manner seems to hearken back to an uncomplicated definition of 'cool'.  Instead of sweating the depths of ironic/sincere recursivity, you're just doing a thing that feels right, and making it yours.  That's where cool normally comes from.  As Wikipedia says, "uncool redirects here".   That's the point.

I know someone who truly believes "cool" is a function of popularity.  They're one of my best friends despite this.

I have met people who think cool is authenticity, as your garden variety hipsters do.  They fetishize it to an absurd degree.  It's unreal.

I don't know what coolness is, but I have my doubts that it has a static value.

I think that the dialogue of defining "cool" and defining "authentic" is a core part of wannabeism cannibalism.