News:

PD.com: We're like the bugs in the Starship Troopers movie: infinite, unceasing, unstoppable....and our leader looks like a huge vagina

Main Menu

Occupy

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 02, 2011, 03:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

I mean, come on Oysters...Everyone knows that all cops are psychotics, right?
Molon Lube

Oysters Rockefeller

That's incredibly suprising.

Maybe its the area I'm in. Not six months ago I sat through (part of) a prison guard bragging about how he beat on some inmate while everyone beamed in admiration. It was...uhm...distressing.

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 20, 2012, 11:35:15 PM

Of course. Coincidentally, all white people sell insurance, all nascar fans are rednecks, every christian is a hate-monger, and everyone who drinks occasionally wakes up chained to a beach sculpture in an adjoining state.
Well, my gynecologist committed suicide...
----------------------
I'm nothing if not kind of ridiculous and a little hard to take seriously.
----------------------
Moar liek Oysters Cockefeller, amirite?!

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Oysters Rockefeller on March 20, 2012, 11:39:52 PM
That's incredibly suprising.

Maybe its the area I'm in. Not six months ago I sat through (part of) a prison guard bragging about how he beat on some inmate while everyone beamed in admiration. It was...uhm...distressing.

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 20, 2012, 11:35:15 PM

Of course. Coincidentally, all white people sell insurance, all nascar fans are rednecks, every christian is a hate-monger, and everyone who drinks occasionally wakes up chained to a beach sculpture in an adjoining state.

Wait.  You were just making a REALLY broad-brush statement about police, and now you have a problem with my statement?

:?
Molon Lube

Oysters Rockefeller

I don't have a problem with your statement. I just recognized the joke and went along with it.

My problem isn't with the police as much as it is
1. How a lot of people (that I've met) think they're beyond fault and
2. How, from the instances I've been privy to, their misteps, when punished, rarely fit the severity of the action.

But obviously there is an exception to every case.

edit: Also, I'm sort of an irrational douchebag when it comes to people who are allowed to tell me what to do. It's a problem.
----------------------
----------------------

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Oysters Rockefeller on March 20, 2012, 11:43:22 PM
I don't have a problem with your statement. I just recognized the joke and went along with it.

2. How, from the instances I've been privy to, their misteps, when punished, rarely fit the severity of the action.

Well, sure.  There's GOT to be a cop out there SOMEWHERE who doesn't stomp on kittens while he punches babies.
Molon Lube

Oysters Rockefeller

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 20, 2012, 11:44:34 PM

Well, sure.  There's GOT to be a cop out there SOMEWHERE who doesn't stomp on kittens while he punches babies.

:lulz:
Yeah...I sort of sound like that. See the edit above. I think I posted it just as you posted that.
----------------------
----------------------

Doktor Howl

edit: Also, I'm sort of an irrational douchebag when it comes to people who are allowed to tell me what to do. It's a problem.

Oh, me too.  Like there was this time when the town comptroller told me that Maria and I had to let his cousin go from a DUI charge.  I wasn't real fond of that, so we slipped him a mickey the next week and left him naked outside of town at 3AM.
Molon Lube

Oysters Rockefeller

...and?!

For the love of God, man! The suspense is killing me!
----------------------
----------------------

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Oysters Rockefeller on March 20, 2012, 11:51:01 PM

...and?!

For the love of God, man! The suspense is killing me!

And we got fired.   :lulz:

By the following Wednesday, we were working two towns over.
Molon Lube

Salty

Yes, thank you for being a legitimate human being, Phoxxy.

Quote from: Pope Hobohemian on March 20, 2012, 11:22:54 PM
And to delight any true dischordians who might be watching the carnage.

What I would like is that if the "vandalism" was more along the lines of creative culture-jam ideas and less of the random stuff, I think it would actually make our case against the police a lot stronger in the long run as well as serve more usefully to spread our counter-propaganda.

1. Oh they are out there. Around here we call them Utopian Discordians, but oddly enough they do not delight in much.
2. You know what would make that real effective is slapping one of these ™ on the counter-propaganda (which is in NO WAY just another kind of propaganda but will react against the BAD propaganda in such a way that they both simply vanish and everyone watches TV), so you make sure The Man™ doesn't get ahold of them for nefarious purposes.

AM I DOING IT RIGHT YET HUH AM I HUH HUH HUH?

ETA: You know, I never mention this sort of thing, but I want to make sure your experience lines up with your expectations:
YOU'RE NOT USING A FUCKING TYPEWRITER.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Oysters Rockefeller on March 20, 2012, 11:30:38 PM
Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on March 19, 2012, 09:50:56 PM
Video of the woman seizing, while the cops stand around and the crowd screams about getting her a doctor.

And yet all the real, good, hard-working 'mericans still love them some cops.
Blows my mind.

Hate to tell you, but that's mainly a media misrepresentation of what Joe America approves of. Most Americans do not like cops. At all.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Oysters Rockefeller

Quote from: Nigel on March 21, 2012, 02:38:25 AM
Video of the woman seizing, while the cops stand around and the crowd screams about getting her a doctor.

Blows my mind.

Hate to tell you, but that's mainly a media misrepresentation of what Joe America approves of. Most Americans do not like cops. At all.

I'm making that statement based more off of people I live around than anything else. I can accept that it's probably a fluke though, since you and Dok both seem to disagree.
----------------------
----------------------

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Oysters Rockefeller on March 21, 2012, 05:38:37 AM
Quote from: Nigel on March 21, 2012, 02:38:25 AM

Blows my mind.

I'm making that statement based more off of people I live around than anything else. I can accept that it's probably a fluke though, since you and Dok both seem to disagree.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=224x2027
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Pope Hobohemian on March 20, 2012, 11:22:54 PM
I guess it's just that I look on Occupy as a physical manifestation of KLF.  I don't see it as something external to Occupy.  There has already been a lot of culture jamming going on. 
Occupy does (in a roundabout way) have its genesis in Adbusters, which is itself a culture-jamming organization (albeit one with a very well-defined ideology and a very shiny expensive magazine). So, yes, Occupy is related to culture jamming, involves culture jamming, is physical, and some of the culture jamming is presumably internal to rather than external to Occupy (whatever that means).

QuoteIt should get more intense just like everything else should get more intense.
There are things that should not get more intense. I suspect that a thing that currently involves newsmaking quantities of police brutality has a good argument for being intense enough as-is. Those who believe differently are welcome to volunteer their heads to be bashed in. One of the reasons I'm not in a tent city right now is that I value my head, and would like to keep it intact.

QuoteThe media is always going to label something as vandalism, and they push a dialectic where the vandalism = violence and that somehow justifies a violent response.  That's actually what we have already experienced at Oakland, not something that I would try to bring here.
Fair enough. 'Vandalism' corresponds to a wide range of actual events, and many of them are not worthy of violent retribution. The use of projection rigs on public walls, for instance, doesn't even involve repair costs.

QuoteWhat I would like is that if the "vandalism" was more along the lines of creative culture-jam ideas and less of the random stuff, I think it would actually make our case against the police a lot stronger in the long run as well as serve more usefully to spread our counter-propaganda.
See the postergasm thread(s) for (perhaps better-worded) ideas along these lines. Keep in mind, also, that this place is distinguished primarily by everyone violently disagreeing about everything, and so we have our fair share of internal propaganda and counter-propaganda, and black propaganda, and counter-counter-counter-propaganda. Don't expect anyone to necessarily agree with whatever it is you would like to promote. Expect many people to disagree with large quantities of verbal abuse, peppered with ad hominem attacks.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.