News:

'sup, my privileged, cishet shitlords?  I'm back from oppressing womyn and PoC.

Main Menu

Because I love you all.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, February 04, 2012, 12:57:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

the amazing thing is that people really are that weird. Eris made the Internet so that we could all discover this beautiful fact. We're in the Strange Times, and everybody wears their batshit on their sleeves now. It's like the human meat show at any public beach. Sometimes you're popping 16 boners, other times it's like UGH IS THAT ROGER?

Wolfgang Absolutus

Perhaps I should be more clear. What I mean to convey is that the world would be different if people were this weird outwardly rather than saving it all up and putting it on the internet or keeping it in the privacy of their homes. Maybe not better, but certainly more honest.
Thinking and Breathing are my main occupations.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on February 06, 2012, 11:33:26 PM
the amazing thing is that people really are that weird. Eris made the Internet so that we could all discover this beautiful fact. We're in the Strange Times, and everybody wears their batshit on their sleeves now. It's like the human meat show at any public beach. Sometimes you're popping 16 boners, other times it's like UGH IS THAT ROGER?

:lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Wolfgang Absolutus on February 06, 2012, 11:19:46 PM
I don't even. People are so strange on the internet. The world would be different, if people were just as strange in real life.

We are.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Don Coyote

Quote from: Wolfgang Absolutus on February 06, 2012, 11:38:53 PM
Perhaps I should be more clear. What I mean to convey is that the world would be different if people were this weird outwardly rather than saving it all up and putting it on the internet or keeping it in the privacy of their homes. Maybe not better, but certainly more honest.

People are that weird, or weirder IRL....

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

How would you go about being "outwardly weird"?

Being that guy on the bus who smells like pee and yells about sentient Cheetos and masturbation?

What if I was just sitting next to you on the bus being totally weird but not saying anything. Could you tell?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Chairman Risus

Quote from: Nigel on February 07, 2012, 01:20:24 AM

Being that guy on the bus who smells like pee and yells about sentient Cheetos and masturbation?

What if I was just sitting next to you on the bus being totally weird but not saying anything. Could you tell?

I think your Nixon mask and death-grip on his thigh would give it away.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Risus on February 07, 2012, 02:01:42 AM
Quote from: Nigel on February 07, 2012, 01:20:24 AM

I think your Nixon mask and death-grip on his thigh would give it away.

:lol:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Wolfgang Absolutus

Err. I think my meaning is not being properly conveyed. Normal is usually defined as behavior that would be socially acceptable. What I am suggesting is that in the status quo many of us put on masks and fulfill roles that are defined as "normal" which is separate and different from how  we are on the inside. On the inside many of us are quite different from these facades and would be considered weird or abnormal in the status quo. So my previous comment is more precisely that the world would be quite different if everyone stopped putting on the facades they wear in order to meet colloquial definitions of normalcy. Though this interpretation of the world is perhaps flawed.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Wolfgang Absolutus on February 07, 2012, 02:35:22 AM
Err. I think my meaning is not being properly conveyed. Normal is usually defined as behavior that would be socially acceptable. What I am suggesting is that in the status quo many of us put on masks and fulfill roles that are defined as "normal" which is separate and different from how  we are on the inside. On the inside many of us are quite different from these facades and would be considered weird or abnormal in the status quo. So my previous comment is more precisely that the world would be quite different if everyone stopped putting on the facades they wear in order to meet colloquial definitions of normalcy. Though this interpretation of the world is perhaps flawed.

I think it has validity, but at the same time there is the consideration that on some level masks are a necessary aspect of human existence, especially if you look at them not as a fake identity type of mask, but as a selective identity type of mask. For example, with my kids I mask off the parts of me that might be inappropriate or disturbing for children to see in their mother. Professionally I mask off the parts that are not relevant or appropriate in a workplace. Socially I mask off most of my maternal and professional identities.

That said, holy shit there is a thread around here somewhere that I think you'll love. BRB.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Wolfgang Absolutus

LMNO

But how am I not myself?

The Good Reverend Roger

You go ahead and call attention to yourself.  While you're being beaten up by the cops, I'll be putting bumper stickers on their squad car.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 07, 2012, 12:41:48 PM

But how am I not myself?

:lulz: