Author Topic: News Stories Which Highlight the Structure of the System  (Read 112135 times)

Doktor Howl

• Hostile Technology Geek
  • One-Armed Jizz Moppers
  • Deserved It
  • si autem non vis tribulationis et angustiae, non
    • View Profile
Re: News Stories Which Highlight the Structure of the System
« Reply #825 on: February 10, 2020, 05:29:23 pm »
https://apnews.com/029eb2f122af74621a876ee8b9fbcf00

Israel is more or less openly torturing people on suspicion of wrongdoing.
"Daisy had syphilis, Tom died of genital warts, and Nick Carroway watched it all in mounting horror, then made off with the silverware and the maid."
~ The Good Reverend

Evil doesn't work without good people. Good people will do the most repugnant, nasty shit for what they think are "the right reasons"

Cain

• Alea iacta est
  • Chekha
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: February 10, 2020, 05:54:51 pm »
Yup. Shin Bet has always been authorised to use "harsh interrogation tactics" against Palestinians, despite torture being technically against the law. The AG can approve them, and most in the Israeli security services aren't going to object in the first place.

Doktor Howl

• One-Armed Jizz Moppers
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: February 24, 2020, 09:31:26 pm »
If there was ever a time to buy stock with the long haul in mind, it's right now.

https://apnews.com/2a1a0f6cb7f593fc79467f4ead2aa3e4
"Daisy had syphilis, Tom died of genital warts, and Nick Carroway watched it all in mounting horror, then made off with the silverware and the maid."
~ The Good Reverend

Evil doesn't work without good people. Good people will do the most repugnant, nasty shit for what they think are "the right reasons"

chaotic neutral observer

• not a real discordian
  • Outlandish
  • I saw what you did and I'm okay with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: February 25, 2020, 03:25:04 pm »
If there was ever a time to buy stock with the long haul in mind, it's right now.

Part of me is drooling over the deliciously low P/E ratios, but my gut says the market is still overvalued, and is going to see further drops in the next few months.

But my gut is wrong about half the time when it comes to the market, and when it's right, it's usually for the wrong reasons.

So...uh....buy some now, more later?
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

altered

• Reluctant Mad Prophet of Mushussu Qudmu
  • Deserved It
  • Beggar-Knight of Eris Militant
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: February 25, 2020, 05:23:05 pm »
From what I have heard, the right move for long haul stock investment is to just budget a portion of your income as “investment money”, and just buy a fixed dollar value of stocks every paycheck. You lose some on what you buy during market highs, but after a few years you’re flush from all the stuff you got at market lows. Reinvest dividends always.

I’m not sure how accurate this is, it’s just what I have heard. Oh, right, it only works with really diverse portfolios, so maybe do it with an ETF or something.
“I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me.”

“Ever watch that famous war movie? That’s how it’ll be.”
“Which one?”
“The one where everybody dies.”
— Blood Standard, Laird Barron

Remember the fall of Yin Tu.

Doktor Howl

• One-Armed Jizz Moppers
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: February 25, 2020, 05:31:08 pm »

Part of me is drooling over the deliciously low P/E ratios, but my gut says the market is still overvalued, and is going to see further drops in the next few months.

But my gut is wrong about half the time when it comes to the market, and when it's right, it's usually for the wrong reasons.

So...uh....buy some now, more later?

The market isn't over-valued, certain stocks are over-valued.  Some tech stocks are good, and a lot of those are down right now.

And ammunition is always a safe bet, *especially* when production is hampered.
~ The Good Reverend

chaotic neutral observer

• not a real discordian
  • Outlandish
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: February 25, 2020, 06:14:45 pm »
From what I have heard, the right move for long haul stock investment is to just budget a portion of your income as “investment money”, and just buy a fixed dollar value of stocks every paycheck. You lose some on what you buy during market highs, but after a few years you’re flush from all the stuff you got at market lows. Reinvest dividends always.

I’m not sure how accurate this is, it’s just what I have heard. Oh, right, it only works with really diverse portfolios, so maybe do it with an ETF or something.

Dollar-cost averaging seems to be well-respected, as far as passive investing goes.  In theory you can do better, but hardly anyone ever does.

I do a little 'active' investing in large cap stocks that I think will do well, but not with money that I'd miss too much.  Much of the rest is in ETFs, of various flavors.

LMNO

• Lubricated and Rabid Lungfish of Impending Sexdoom™
  • Deserved It
  • Internet Fuckweasel of Haunted Pork Dimensions.
    • View Profile
    • Earfatigue Productions: When it has to sound like you give a shit.
« Reply #832 on: February 25, 2020, 07:21:39 pm »

altered

• Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: February 26, 2020, 12:35:09 am »
https://twitter.com/themittani/status/1232400478421516288?s=21

Not news, but it’s jibing with what a lot of my in the know friends are saying, and that last article.

You could make big bucks by buying a derelict factory and setting up a doomed to failure manufacturing scheme for basic modern necessities: your nation of choice will pay you the sun and the moon for them, then when China realizes it’s basically a second and less diverse flu virus, you cash out and watch it implode or change tack entirely.
“I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me.”

“Which one?”

chaotic neutral observer

• not a real discordian
  • Outlandish
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: February 26, 2020, 01:14:22 am »
You could make big bucks by buying a derelict factory and setting up a doomed to failure manufacturing scheme for basic modern necessities: your nation of choice will pay you the sun and the moon for them, then when China realizes it’s basically a second and less diverse flu virus, you cash out and watch it implode or change tack entirely.
You had me at "derelict factory".

altered

• Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: February 26, 2020, 01:15:14 am »
 :lulz:

Take lots of pictures!

“Which one?”

Doktor Howl

• One-Armed Jizz Moppers
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: February 26, 2020, 05:55:10 pm »
In the past year alone, Thomas has advocated overruling Roe v. Wade, the court’s landmark abortion rights decision; New York Times v. Sullivan, its defense of press freedom; and Gideon v. Wainwright, guaranteeing a lawyer to indigent defendants.

https://apnews.com/7205c8b226eec00fb440f21687b44bbc
~ The Good Reverend

Cain

• Alea iacta est
  • Chekha
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: February 26, 2020, 05:58:57 pm »
New York Times v. Sullivan, its defense of press freedom

Ah, Trump has said for a while now that they're going to "look at" freedom of speech, I suppose this would be the way to do it without a constitutional convention.

Pergamos

• Deserved It
  • Did it for the cookies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: March 02, 2020, 05:55:55 pm »

Index fund.  The market always goes up in the long term.

Juana

• Hideous and Otherworldly Attack Duckling of DESPAIR
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: March 12, 2020, 11:10:54 pm »
Imagine an Internet where the law required every message sent to be read by government-approved scanning software. Companies that handle such messages wouldn’t be allowed to securely encrypt them, or they’d lose legal protections that allow them to operate.The EARN IT Bill Is the Government’s Plan to Scan Every Message Online
Imagine an Internet where the law required every message sent to be read by government-approved scanning software. Companies that handle such messages wouldn’t be allowed to securely encrypt them, or they’d lose legal protections that allow them to operate.

That’s what the Senate Judiciary Committee has proposed and hopes to pass into law. The so-called EARN IT bill, sponsored by Senators Lindsay Graham (R-GA) and Richard Blumenthal (D-CT), will strip Section 230 protections away from any website that doesn’t follow a list of “best practices,” meaning those sites can be sued into bankruptcy. The “best practices” list will be created by a government commission, headed by Attorney General Barr, who has made it very clear he would like to ban encryption, and guarantee law enforcement “legal access” to any digital message.

This is fun. :horrormirth:
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."