News:

Living proof that any damn fool can make things more complex

Main Menu

Twid's spiritual exploration thingie.

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, June 27, 2013, 06:58:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Eh, they just become guitarists. Drummers filter themselves out.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 23, 2013, 05:20:11 AM
All true.  No offense taken.

I've found myself from playing drums at 20, downing a six pack per practice, and getting so wasted at shows I'd take speed to be able to play a set, to keeping it sort of dry at shows so I could perform well, to not even drinking at practice, because the guys needed a solid beat.

Drumming as a path to sobriety -- who would have thought?

Well, you might be interested to know that one of the most interesting drum things I ever heard was Trent Reznor doing a test session on the drums and liking it so much that he decided to splice it into the end of a well known song. No timing on it or anything, it really was just a sound check for the recording process and it ended up sounding cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfCvcFLdq4Y
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

On second thought, maybe I should just shut up for a few days. I more or less have to anyway.

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 23, 2013, 05:33:54 AM
On second thought, maybe I should just shut up for a few days. I more or less have to anyway.

Something bugging you, Twid?

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Something's bugging me.

On some nights, I really, really wish I hadn't enlisted when I was a kid.  I find this happening more and more often as I get older.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 23, 2013, 05:34:29 AM
Your self-censorship is unusual.

Not sure how I should take that.

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 23, 2013, 05:37:31 AM

I'm good. Well kinda. Shoulders are a bit tense and I'm sleep deprived. It's a good idea one way or the other.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 23, 2013, 05:40:06 AM

I'm good. Well kinda. Shoulders are a bit tense and I'm sleep deprived. It's a good idea one way or the other.

I think you're reading LMNO's orneriness as an attack on you, or as a suggestion to keep your thoughts to yourself.  I think you're mistaken. 

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 23, 2013, 05:41:45 AM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 23, 2013, 05:40:06 AM

I think you're reading LMNO's orneriness as an attack on you, or as a suggestion to keep your thoughts to yourself.  I think you're mistaken.

Ok, fair enough.

I have, however, been kinda tense the last week, so that is probably playing into it anyway. It's somewhat to be expected. I'm usually a little agitated at this point in a semester.

LMNO

Yes. is the opposite.  you seemed  to say "ill be quiet" out of the blue.

Roger, I didn't live what you did, in the day.  But I can understand how experiences can affect the present.  Can't sleep?

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 23, 2013, 05:46:54 AM
Yes. is the opposite.  you seemed  to say "ill be quiet" out of the blue.

Roger, I didn't live what you did, in the day.  But I can understand how experiences can affect the present.  Can't sleep?

Ok. I felt like I was offending you. All good.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 23, 2013, 05:46:54 AM

Not a wink.  When I was in my 30s, I'd have nightmares of being back in the day, and my weapon jamming.  Now I dream that it doesn't jam.

All I can say is that I was intensely relieved when my son got sick right before his induction, and lost his infantry slot.

LMNO

Aw, shit.  I have no idea how hard it can be. Not to intrude,  but do you have anyone you can talk to about that?  I've seen a lot of good things come from talk therapy.

Again, not to intrude.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 23, 2013, 05:55:23 AM
Aw, shit.  I have no idea how hard it can be. Not to intrude,  but do you have anyone you can talk to about that?  I've seen a lot of good things come from talk therapy.

Again, not to intrude.

When my great uncle Bill was alive, I'd talk to him.  He went through the very worst of the Western European front and knew exactly what I was talking about (and then some).  The shrinks at the VA are useless; they care, but there's no connection, and the one civilian shrink I went to was visibly revolted.  And most of the vets I know either weren't combat arms or don't seem to have any problem with what went on.  The only one that does is certifiably nuts (manifested as conspiracy theory).

So while I recognize that talk therapy would probably do me some good, it's an availability thing.