News:

Nothing gets wasted around here

Main Menu

So here's a question

Started by Sir Squid Diddimus, April 14, 2014, 07:36:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Squid Diddimus

It's kind of a fucked up thing for anyone to say to anyone.
Geeze.

Regardless, there's a lot to say about how fucked up depression can make you perceive your whole environment.

So much so that I wasn't even offended/bothered by what that jaggoff said, but more I feel sorry for his skin having to house the dumb junk and juice that makes up his person. Like a colostomy bag. Poor damn bag was created just to hold shit.

Damn. Now I feel bad for colostomy bags.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Sir Squid Diddimus on April 16, 2014, 04:23:54 AM
It's kind of a fucked up thing for anyone to say to anyone.
Geeze.

Regardless, there's a lot to say about how fucked up depression can make you perceive your whole environment.

So much so that I wasn't even offended/bothered by what that jaggoff said, but more I feel sorry for his skin having to house the dumb junk and juice that makes up his person. Like a colostomy bag. Poor damn bag was created just to hold shit.

Damn. Now I feel bad for colostomy bags.

:lulz:

This is why we love you.

But yeah, I don't know what dude was thinking. What he said could be summed up as "I'm not saying that Squiddy should commit suicide but if she did, she should be a total asshole to her family first so they won't care as much. Huh. People didn't like that. Let me rephrase. I'm not saying that Squiddy should commit suicide but it sounds like she should, so she should be a total asshole to her family so they won't care as much."

I kinda hope Roger's right that he was on something because I can't even begin to wrap my head around how someone would think that there was anything ok with any of that.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Sir Squid Diddimus

As retarded as it sounds, I've heard of cases where the depressed family member alienates themselves.
To "ease the family's pain" when they finally pull that trigger (or whatever). Or that's what they say.

It's just dumb that he thought I meant myself since I made it loud and clear that I did not.

This is also a tough topic for people to think about. But I know a lot of people affected by it that I always wonder, but I'll be damned if I'm ever gonna stir that pot, unless they ask me to, which they haven't.
Hell we never even asked about my grandfather. Like the guy was just born, then he died one day.
That's it. I had to force info out of my mom after she divorced my dad. Even then she didn't even want to say.

Apparently he had black lung or some shit from asbestos and the steel mills and was really sick. He was unhealthy and deteriorating. He was also a depressed alcoholic. He decided that instead of being a burden on my nana and their boys that he'd just shoot himself. Or that's what I was told and could be utter bullshit as well. Who knows!
Oh life.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: (Doktor (Nephew Twiddleton (Twid)) Blight) on April 16, 2014, 04:15:45 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 16, 2014, 03:55:16 AM
Oh, dear.  He's woken Squidzilla.

(For what it's worth, I read it wrong too, and was worried.)

It was still an incredibly fucked up thing for Pergamos to say regardless of what Squiddy actually said or how it was interpreted by people who aren't Pergamos.

Yes, it was.  But it's entirely possible that he didn't understand just who he was dealing with here.  It's not like Squid COULD kill herself, even if she tried.  She'd just regrow everthing and have to start over.  The Seminole Indians had legends about her, and those legends scared them so badly they asked whitey to drain the swamp for them.  The government reluctantly agreed, and hushed it all up with some nonsense about "flood control".

All officials responsible were found dead of harpoon-related causes.  And not the explodey kind.  No.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 16, 2014, 01:55:57 PM
Quote from: (Doktor (Nephew Twiddleton (Twid)) Blight) on April 16, 2014, 04:15:45 AM

It was still an incredibly fucked up thing for Pergamos to say regardless of what Squiddy actually said or how it was interpreted by people who aren't Pergamos.

Yes, it was.  But it's entirely possible that he didn't understand just who he was dealing with here.  It's not like Squid COULD kill herself, even if she tried.  She'd just regrow everthing and have to start over.  The Seminole Indians had legends about her, and those legends scared them so badly they asked whitey to drain the swamp for them.  The government reluctantly agreed, and hushed it all up with some nonsense about "flood control".

All officials responsible were found dead of harpoon-related causes.  And not the explodey kind.  No.

Someday, I hope to have horrorpowers like Nigel and Squiddy.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Sir Squid Diddimus

There's a reason all the alligators hot-footed it to lake Jessup and out of my area.
The Seminole chief was not held at Castillo De San Marcos, just his body. I had the important stuff.
I moved to central Florida, the swamps moved south.
Ask me about my exploding mosquitoes.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: (Doktor (Nephew Twiddleton (Twid)) Blight) on April 16, 2014, 02:45:59 PM

Someday, I hope to have horrorpowers like Nigel and Squiddy.

Squidy can, when riled, roll her face off from around her mouth until there's just a skull screaming at you with the skin hanging on the back like a hoodie.  Clocks run backwards.  Rivers turn to blood.  All of my money turns to Necronomicoin and starts singing in my pocket, ancient tunes by like Clauda Rogers and Boxcar Willie.  The stars are right for the duration of her anger, and you know what that means.

AND YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS.

She can drink American "craft" beer and not regurgitate it, yet she isn't from the Midwest or Providence.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sir Squid Diddimus on April 16, 2014, 03:01:52 PM
Ask me about my exploding mosquitoes.

Mama raised no fools.  Nu uh, this ain't my first rodeo.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Sir Squid Diddimus on April 15, 2014, 01:07:32 PM
I think I have the most unpopular opinion.
I feel like B would be worse.
Growing up, watching a parent struggle with depression, seeing them fall apart.
I think A would just be a moment of grief and then they'd be able to move on and get over it?
How does a person deal with watching someone hurt for no reason. Trying to comfort them and there's nothing they can say or do to make anything better?
I dunno. I have a weird way of thinking I guess.

A is abandonment. Children recover better from abuse than they do from abandonment.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Sir Squid Diddimus on April 15, 2014, 04:37:51 PM
True, true.
But in a sense, you can still grieve for someone alive as long as they are suffering.
Or maybe I'm alone in that.
I know that I can be almost unbearable for my family sometimes.
But I guess there are those good times when I'm on an upswing and they get to enjoy me being alive, right?

What if we turn that question around. You have a child.

Would you rather your child committed suicide, or was alive but depressed?

If you knew that a large percentage of cases of depression spontaneously go into remission, would your answer be different?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Sorry I missed the whole Pergamos thing.

He phrased it horribly, but he kind of has a point. Unfortunately, people who commit suicide are generally far too self-absorbed to think that far ahead, or recognize the impact their suicide will have on the people they leave behind.

Luna

No, not really.  Because not only do you have the fact that you were abandoned, not only do you never have the chance to figure out why, and spend who knows how long blaming yourself, you find yourself wondering what you could have done that was so horrible that you drove someone who you thought loved you away.  THAT, you get to wrestle with for however long it takes, and THEN you deal with not only the loss, but the question of what you could have done to stop it, if only you'd been there, if only you'd tried harder, if only you'd seen...
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Luna on April 18, 2014, 02:18:26 AM
No, not really.  Because not only do you have the fact that you were abandoned, not only do you never have the chance to figure out why, and spend who knows how long blaming yourself, you find yourself wondering what you could have done that was so horrible that you drove someone who you thought loved you away.  THAT, you get to wrestle with for however long it takes, and THEN you deal with not only the loss, but the question of what you could have done to stop it, if only you'd been there, if only you'd tried harder, if only you'd seen...

Either way it's fucking  horrible. The only advantage I can see to alienating your family and then abandoning them is that it allows them to write you off as an asshole, which, trust me, they will want to do even if you weren't, because suicide is a complete and utter asshole thing to do to people who love you. The anger after a loved one commits suicide is deep and frightening, alongside the self-recrimination, guilt, and unreconcilable regret that never goes away.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Of course, his suggestion of disappearing so thoroughly that the family never knows of the suicide is, in this day and age, utterly impractical and therefore moot. But I do understand where he's coming from. If you're going to be such a self-centered prick as to kill yourself when you have people who love and rely on you, maybe just go all the way and let them see firsthand what a fucking total assplug you are so that they hate you BEFORE you die instead of AFTER.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Since you're going to fuck them up irrevocably either way.