Testamonial:  "My god, you people are depressing."

Main Menu

Open Bar: We hacked the DNC and all we got are these lousy emails

Started by Eater of Clowns, August 11, 2016, 12:11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

POFP

Quote from: MithridatesXXIII on November 11, 2016, 03:47:14 AM
Quote from: Don Coyote on November 11, 2016, 03:18:08 AM
ITT: misogyny being explained away as just a joke while insulting a woman for not getting the joke properly :kingmeh:

Honestly coyote, this is the kind of approach that isn't persuasive to your friends on the right. Is it necessarily misogyny to joke about cumming elsewhere to not get someone pregnant? It's certainly vulgar and not appropriate, but those are the mechanics. The simple and gross things joked about in the heartland and elsewhere.

I know I haven't been following closely, but who insulted Freeky?

No one insulted Freeky. They're just so troll starved that they can't keep it together. They have to gnaw into something every once in awhile or they get cannibalistic.

So it's usually up to me to stir shit up and get them active again, and keep them from eating each other. Although, I must say, I was starting to get worried that the horse I was beating might've died.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Fernando The Poo, Hole of Ass on November 11, 2016, 01:25:52 AM
I'm not sure that trying to find misogynist pieces of shit in people who we all know aren't misogynist is the right motorcycle in a time like this. Methinks a chill pill is in order.

Also, I find the super srs petition to abolish the Electoral college before it's even voted to be quite funny. As if to say the Electoral college is the reason why Trump won, and that it had nothing to do with population distribution among the districts  :lulz:

Emo Howard is an actual decent human being though, and probably is able to understand how disheartening it is for women that most men just sort of play along with misogynists instead of saying something.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Fernando The Poo, Hole of Ass on November 11, 2016, 03:56:04 AM
ITT: misogyny being explained away as just a joke while insulting a woman for not getting the joke properly :kingmeh:

Honestly coyote, this is the kind of approach that isn't persuasive to your friends on the right. Is it necessarily misogyny to joke about cumming elsewhere to not get someone pregnant? It's certainly vulgar and not appropriate, but those are the mechanics. The simple and gross things joked about in the heartland and elsewhere.

I know I haven't been following closely, but who insulted Freeky?

No one insulted Freeky. They're just so troll starved that they can't keep it together. They have to gnaw into something every once in awhile or they get cannibalistic.

So it's usually up to me to stir shit up and get them active again, and keep them from eating each other. Although, I must say, I was starting to get worried that the horse I was beating might've died.

I'm out.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Fernando The Poo, Hole of Ass on November 11, 2016, 03:46:03 AM
Fine, Freeky. Fight your allies to the death for all I care. Push your allies away until you're completely alone in a world of victimhood. Get to the point where people have to walk on egg shells around you and tell me how it feels. Like I haven't fucking been there before   :roll:

:sotw:

POFP

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 11, 2016, 03:57:24 AM
Quote from: Fernando The Poo, Hole of Ass on November 11, 2016, 01:25:52 AM
I'm not sure that trying to find misogynist pieces of shit in people who we all know aren't misogynist is the right motorcycle in a time like this. Methinks a chill pill is in order.

Also, I find the super srs petition to abolish the Electoral college before it's even voted to be quite funny. As if to say the Electoral college is the reason why Trump won, and that it had nothing to do with population distribution among the districts  :lulz:

Emo Howard is an actual decent human being though, and probably is able to understand how disheartening it is for women that most men just sort of play along with misogynists instead of saying something.

This is understandable, and can be easily expressed with friendlier words when it comes to talking to friends. Sarcasm and snide remarks are occasionally funny when used properly on friends, but they seemed to be especially hostile this time around. I didn't want Emo Howard to feel like he should walk on egg shells because his joke was misinterpreted or the anger surrounding it misdirected. He brought up a point, and your and Freeky's counter point is valid and needs to be discussed, not sarcastically or shittily asserted.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Freeky

You know, I really don't care that I misinterpreted the intended meaning of it, because that was my genuine reaction, my first instinct, and that really says something about what the shit that I have to pay attention to as a woman, on a daily basis.

I know I haven't been following closely, but who insulted Freeky? Fernando?

In reverse order:
It's the unspoken assumption that because I didn't understand what you got immediately, I'm the dumb one, and therefore it must be explained to me that is the insult. 

I find it hard to put in words why I know something is a thing, but here's my stab taken at explaining: the joke is mysoginistic because it is another nail in the "Don't give women the ability to control their own bodies" coffin, with a side order of "don't take their opinion of what they will and won't do in the bedroom or wherever really into account."

And what Nigel said, also.  Emo is a pretty cool dude.  What I meant, which I've been trying to put into words this whole time, is that if I were to have heard it in meatspace and saw that Emo Howard was laughing, I wouldn't have known that he was just playing along, personally.  I only have what people put on their face and in their voice to interpet, I'm not a mind reader.

Don Coyote

To be honest, I don't give a shit about that shit.

The joke is a shitty joke that built up on a misogynistic premised, denial of birth control to women, punctuated by the implication of cumming in a woman's mouth without her assumed consent. Then all you fuckwits want to tell Freeky that she's wrong and playing at the victim and should stop before she drives away her allies. You guys are a bunch of shittwinkies.

The Good Reverend Roger

Election ends badly.

Everyone comes back to PD.

Everyone shits the bed immediately.

:lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Freeky

Quote from: Don Coyote on November 11, 2016, 04:04:33 AM

The joke is a shitty joke that built up on a misogynistic premised, denial of birth control to women, punctuated by the implication of cumming in a woman's mouth without her assumed consent. Then all you fuckwits want to tell Freeky that she's wrong and playing at the victim and should stop before she drives away her allies. You guys are a bunch of shittwinkies.

-nodnod-  And then I'm expected to be polite about it.  And I was, at least for Mithridytes(?), because if I wasn't, I'm the bad guy.

Bu🤠ns

Bruno

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 11, 2016, 03:54:56 AM
Quote from: Emo Howard on November 11, 2016, 01:16:38 AM
Quote from: Freeky on November 11, 2016, 01:00:30 AM
Quote from: Emo Howard on November 11, 2016, 12:53:34 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 10, 2016, 04:09:27 PM
Thanks for doing your part to help ensure that this is a less safe country for women.

Quote from: Freeky on November 10, 2016, 10:40:37 PM
So like, I'm kind of inured to mysoginistic jokes, but this post makes me really glad I don't know you or anyone else there in real life.

It occurs to me that I could have given a little more context to that last post.

It was a reference to something said the "calling it now" thread in the other forum about blending in with the deplorables with ill intent, and my lack of confidence in my ability to blend in with that bunch.

The hat I was referring to was a Trump hat.

Maybe you did get the context. I don't know. Maybe I should have just kept that anecdote to myself.
I got the subtext that you were surprised at fitting in so easily, but it didn't make the post any better.  It really didn't.

Ok, I'm scrapping "the plan" at least until I can figure out a better way to go at it.

Sorry.

I would consider perhaps simply refraining from validating misogyny. You won't get beaten up just for not laughing at sexual assault jokes. You might even consider pulling an Alty and telling them you aren't cool with jokes like that.

The joke is getting an awful lot of attention here, but it's not even the worst part of that moment. The worst part was the guy who was totally super serious that women should be expected to be willing to die rather than have an abortion. The guy who said that was in his 50's. The "joke" was made by a kid who is maybe 19. I suspect he may have even made the joke in an attempt to get out of a conversation that was making him uncomfortable without risking having the other guys take away his man card.

I'm still hashing out the details on this TrumpFan character I'm building for myself, but I think maybe I can get by without him being a total misogynist. But, I mean, seems like he's going to have to be something kinda shitty who's cool with shitty things. He is a TrumpFan, after all.

It's all about getting close to them, Nigel.

You know... stabbing distance.

Not actual, literal stabbing, of course. HA HA HA! NO,OF COURSE NOT! HA HA HA!

(Probably)
Formerly something else...

Freeky

MithridatesXXIII

Quote from: Freeky on November 11, 2016, 04:14:43 AM

-nodnod-  And then I'm expected to be polite about it.  And I was, at least for Mithridytes(?), because if I wasn't, I'm the bad guy.

I didn't draw those rapey implications from that statement and apparently neither did Freeky.

I thought you made an honest mistake and treated it as such. No need to feel stupid.

I'm not attempting to engage the first speakers politics nor the disappointment in Howard. As it is seems any desire for rebuttal to the first speaker was diverted by the joke.

Freeky

Quote from: MithridatesXXIII on November 11, 2016, 04:31:41 AM
Quote from: Freeky on November 11, 2016, 04:14:43 AM

I didn't draw those rapey implications from that statement and apparently neither did Freeky.
You must have missed the part where I explained how it did in fact have rapey undertones.

POFP

Quote from: Freeky on November 11, 2016, 04:02:58 AM
You know, I really don't care that I misinterpreted the intended meaning of it, because that was my genuine reaction, my first instinct, and that really says something about what the shit that I have to pay attention to as a woman, on a daily basis.

In reverse order:
It's the unspoken assumption that because I didn't understand what you got immediately, I'm the dumb one, and therefore it must be explained to me that is the insult. 

I find it hard to put in words why I know something is a thing, but here's my stab taken at explaining: the joke is mysoginistic because it is another nail in the "Don't give women the ability to control their own bodies" coffin, with a side order of "don't take their opinion of what they will and won't do in the bedroom or wherever really into account."

And what Nigel said, also.  Emo is a pretty cool dude.  What I meant, which I've been trying to put into words this whole time, is that if I were to have heard it in meatspace and saw that Emo Howard was laughing, I wouldn't have known that he was just playing along, personally.  I only have what people put on their face and in their voice to interpet, I'm not a mind reader.

That was easy, wasn't it? Explaining your perspective instead of blowing him off like he's a shitswizzler?

So, because Freeky was the only one who responded, you assumed I was only referring to her, and not the others who immediately shat on EH. And you can pretend like the way I treated the situation had anything to do with gender all you want. If Roger had jumped on him like Nigel and Freeky did, I'd have been butting heads with him too, the same way.

Quote from: Emo Howard on November 11, 2016, 04:26:34 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 11, 2016, 03:54:56 AM
Quote from: Emo Howard on November 11, 2016, 01:16:38 AM
Quote from: Freeky on November 11, 2016, 01:00:30 AM
Quote from: Emo Howard on November 11, 2016, 12:53:34 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 10, 2016, 04:09:27 PM
Thanks for doing your part to help ensure that this is a less safe country for women.

Quote from: Freeky on November 10, 2016, 10:40:37 PM
So like, I'm kind of inured to mysoginistic jokes, but this post makes me really glad I don't know you or anyone else there in real life.

It occurs to me that I could have given a little more context to that last post.

It was a reference to something said the "calling it now" thread in the other forum about blending in with the deplorables with ill intent, and my lack of confidence in my ability to blend in with that bunch.

The hat I was referring to was a Trump hat.

Maybe you did get the context. I don't know. Maybe I should have just kept that anecdote to myself.
I got the subtext that you were surprised at fitting in so easily, but it didn't make the post any better.  It really didn't.

Ok, I'm scrapping "the plan" at least until I can figure out a better way to go at it.

Sorry.

I would consider perhaps simply refraining from validating misogyny. You won't get beaten up just for not laughing at sexual assault jokes. You might even consider pulling an Alty and telling them you aren't cool with jokes like that.

The joke is getting an awful lot of attention here, but it's not even the worst part of that moment. The worst part was the guy who was totally super serious that women should be expected to be willing to die rather than have an abortion. The guy who said that was in his 50's. The "joke" was made by a kid who is maybe 19. I suspect he may have even made the joke in an attempt to get out of a conversation that was making him uncomfortable without risking having the other guys take away his man card.

I'm still hashing out the details on this TrumpFan character I'm building for myself, but I think maybe I can get by without him being a total misogynist. But, I mean, seems like he's going to have to be something kinda shitty who's cool with shitty things. He is a TrumpFan, after all.

It's all about getting close to them, Nigel.

You know... stabbing distance.

Not actual, literal stabbing, of course. HA HA HA! NO,OF COURSE NOT! HA HA HA!

(Probably)

I used to think the same thing, but I've found that firm disapproval earns you more respect, even among the guys that were just laughing. People like that admire power. So take charge and defend the moral high ground. They respond well if you do it firm enough. Not hostile, but firm. Let them know that that kind of joke isn't something respectable, powerful men think is funny.