News:

Oceana has always been at war with Iraq

Main Menu

ITT: Confess your WOO!

Started by Chelagoras The Boulder, June 26, 2017, 05:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

POFP

Yeah, I was worried about mine not being considered woo, myself. I was going based off of what it appeared the OP intended, which seemed to be pretty broad. But I could be wrong.

Based off of the first few posts, I wouldn't consider mine woo. But based on what the OP posted later on in the thread, I figured a strange unprovable suspicion of the origin of the universe was at least related to the thread.

Chelagoras, let us know if we're getting off topic or missed the point.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

Chelagoras The Boulder

The original point was to share our own individual beliefs in order to discuss the idiosyncrasies in out own Discordias  without judgements or feeling the need to stick to strict rationalism. As long as we are letting everyone feel safe to share whatever their stuff is, no matter how weird, then I would say we're right on point.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on July 31, 2017, 02:54:46 PM
Ok, here's my woo.  It took me a while to  get it right in my head.

- I believe in an objectively real Universe that exists outside of my mind, and contains many things including myself.

- I believe that the Universe is not a shared hallucination, and is subject to laws and rules; and with enough effort, these laws and rules can be understood.

- I believe that there are laws and rules we do not know of yet.

- I believe that whatever these undiscovered rules and laws might be, they either need to fit in with the rules and laws we already know, or they rewrite all the rules and laws that have been discovered over the last 100 years (i.e. ever since Newton's understanding was found to be too broad).

- I believe that any idea about how the Universe works that does not feel the need to adhere to the known laws and rules has a greater than 50% chance of being wrong.

Okay, here's the deal.  There IS a god, more likely HUNDREDS of them, and none of them give a fuck.  They don't hate us, except maybe the way you and I hate cockroaches.  Disgusting little creatures, but it's not personal (well, most of the time.  I had a vendetta against a rat, you may recall).

And heaven/hell?  That's just their gas tank.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Ben Shapiro

Chelagoras The Boulder

The great thing is I now haft look up whether this is actually a Louis CK bit.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 01, 2017, 04:08:52 AM
Quote from: LMNO on July 31, 2017, 02:54:46 PM
Ok, here's my woo.  It took me a while to  get it right in my head.

- I believe in an objectively real Universe that exists outside of my mind, and contains many things including myself.

- I believe that the Universe is not a shared hallucination, and is subject to laws and rules; and with enough effort, these laws and rules can be understood.

- I believe that there are laws and rules we do not know of yet.

- I believe that whatever these undiscovered rules and laws might be, they either need to fit in with the rules and laws we already know, or they rewrite all the rules and laws that have been discovered over the last 100 years (i.e. ever since Newton's understanding was found to be too broad).

- I believe that any idea about how the Universe works that does not feel the need to adhere to the known laws and rules has a greater than 50% chance of being wrong.

Okay, here's the deal.  There IS a god, more likely HUNDREDS of them, and none of them give a fuck.  They don't hate us, except maybe the way you and I hate cockroaches.  Disgusting little creatures, but it's not personal (well, most of the time.  I had a vendetta against a rat, you may recall).

And heaven/hell?  That's just their gas tank.

Do NOT go into the light. It's a trap!!  :fnord:
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Chelagoras The Boulder

alright, i have a confession to make: I believe in herbalism. Not the superstitious, "stick a leave in some water, now its magic" kind of herbalism, but the more practical "hey look, certain plants are useful if you know what you're doing" kind of herbalism. I realize that there still a lot of snake oil selling in this type of practice, but it does seem like most of it was driven to understand how to help cure people by learning about what things in plants did what things, just without the benefits of modern chemistry or the scientific method. I mean, it's kind of unreasonable to expect herbalists from 6000 years ago to be able to prove their assertions through clinical trials and such, when what we consider the scientific method is super recent by comparison. So yea, i do think that some of what is written about herbalism may have merit, and might be a healthy way to take care of oneself, done properly. In general, it encourages people to eat a diverse diet that is specific to their own health needs, which i believe can be beneficial. Now if we can just get the hippies and the rhino horn poachers out of it....

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on August 15, 2017, 06:46:27 PM
alright, i have a confession to make: I believe in herbalism. Not the superstitious, "stick a leave in some water, now its magic" kind of herbalism, but the more practical "hey look, certain plants are useful if you know what you're doing" kind of herbalism. I realize that there still a lot of snake oil selling in this type of practice, but it does seem like most of it was driven to understand how to help cure people by learning about what things in plants did what things, just without the benefits of modern chemistry or the scientific method. I mean, it's kind of unreasonable to expect herbalists from 6000 years ago to be able to prove their assertions through clinical trials and such, when what we consider the scientific method is super recent by comparison. So yea, i do think that some of what is written about herbalism may have merit, and might be a healthy way to take care of oneself, done properly. In general, it encourages people to eat a diverse diet that is specific to their own health needs, which i believe can be beneficial. Now if we can just get the hippies and the rhino horn poachers out of it....

Learning the (actual) properties of plants isn't woo.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Chelagoras The Boulder

Yea, but if I'd just said herbalism, most people would lumped me firmly in the woo category, what with all the hippies and charlatans.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on August 17, 2017, 03:28:16 AM
Yea, but if I'd just said herbalism, most people would lumped me firmly in the woo category, what with all the hippies and charlatans.

What do you care what other people think?  YOU know you're not David Avocado Wolfe.

Chelagoras The Boulder

<just Googled who David Avocado Wolfe is.

True, but I also don't need any more Internet arguments than I already have. You've seen my Facebook.

LMNO

I'm impressed you were able to avoid David Avocado Wolfe for this long.

I'm also sorry you just found out who he is.

hooplala

I too just found out. So is he married to the Food Babe? He should be.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Ziegejunge

I also just found out about David Avocado Wolfe "thanks" to this thread.

His Wikipedia article is... uhhhh.... it reads like a woo thread of its own. "Detoxification" from a raw food diet? Check. Chemtrails? Check. Deer antler spray is "levitational" and an "androgenic force"? Ch...check? Mushrooms have an "advanced intelligence and consciousness"...mushroom spores can "levitate off the planet" and [he] believes they are trying to "get to the center of the sun"? Ch...ch... Antivaxxer? Flat-Earther?

Listen, I'm usually the last person to shit on anyone else's woo, but is he going for some kind of Guinness World Record or something here?

LMNO

PD.com: making you lose your faith in the existence of rational humans, one google search at a time.