News:

PD's body has a way of shutting pro-lifer's down.

Main Menu

Rev Roger, Sermon #29: Taking Discordianism(tm) back.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, June 08, 2005, 10:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNOAgreed.

Did you know that when spun at a certain velocity, a puppy will actually begin to sound like Ralph Nader?

:lol:

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/nader.php
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Verthaine

Quote from: The Good Reverend RogerIn which The Good Rev disagrees with the other Ancient Wiseguys(tm)

Quote from: Verthaine

Never been a discordian.never claimed to be

Well, I never thought I'd see the day.  The day that we let our movement become so "mystical" that nobody dares claim to be a Discordian(tm), because that might be arrogant, or some such nonsense.

OF COURSE IT'S ARROGANT, BOBDAMMIT!  Or at least "egotistical".  Well, I have news for you, Sparky...you'll never get through life with a shriveled up ego.

Is this discordianism, or some Buddhism-style bullshit?  "Oh, I can't claim to actually BE a discordian, because I might be making a claim of being enlightened!  SINCE WHEN HAS DISCORDIANISM INVOLVED "ENLIGHTENMENT"?  Horseshit.  It's about getting your yuks in, before THEY shut us down.

The only thing goofier than the above is all that rot about "Everyone is a discordian".  More bullshit.  While it may be true that most people promote chaos, it is also true that they do so unwittingly...Which is like saying that you're Jewish because you didn't happen to eat pork today.  In other words, even though the Pentagon, for example, creates more chaos than most nations, I seriously doubt there is a single discordian inside that vast hive of incompetence.

In other words:  Eligibility for discordian sainthood != being a discordian.

Now, the Rev isn't trying to say who, in particular, is or is not a "true discordian(tm)", so don't trot that tired bullshit out.  What I am saying is that discordians DO exist, and some of YOU are discordians, whether or not you feel "worthy" to bear that title...or whether or not you even WANT it.

As for myself, I am PROUD to be a discordian.  I am PROUD to toss sand in the gears, for good or for ill.  And if you think that makes me a "poser" or "arrogant", well, you can just jam that straight up your ass...because if I am not inclined to listen to the government, which has guns and berserk police dogs, well, I'm hardly likely to listen to you.

Or Kill Me.

TGRR,
Taking discordianism(tm) back.

Love ya bro.I have nothing against being a discordian,but I am not ashamed to say that I am not one either.I(emphasis on the word I.These are only  my opinions that I am stating) have always maintained a distinct difference between being a discordian and being an Erisian(but again,thats just me).Everyone is unwittingly discordian,but not everyone is an Erisian.I rarely call Goddess by her Roman Name. With the exeption of writing"Hail Eris,All hail Discordia,I never refer to her by that name(I prefer Hail Eris,Goddess is Good,but thats just me).

In my opinion,discordianism isn't  about " getting your yuks in, before THEY shut us down.",but using yuks to prevent them from shutting US down

I agree with you that there is nothing wrong with being a little arrogant,a little proud(i'm a leo,so I get accused of being arrogant a lot.You know what,fuck em). I am proud of my relationship with Eris.
Vincent Sebastian Verthaine, K.S.C.
Omni-Belevolent Poly- Father of Hedonism In Black of The Erisian Holy City of the Discordian Parish of New Orleans.

Goddess-Son of Sssbela,Prophetess of Doom

Pastor of the Church of Eris,New Orleans

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Verthaine

In my opinion,discordianism isn't  about " getting your yuks in, before THEY shut us down.",but using yuks to prevent them from shutting US down

Optimist.  You can't stop the machine.

Other than that, okay.  That explains the quote that had so puzzled me.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

N'yo B?© (Lazy)

[sits back to watch the counter push-pull as 'order' takes a small place again...but for how long? stay tuned!]

Chaplin_Sinatra_Fonzarell

I strongly agree, Rog. Exactly what needed to be said right now. I think we're all starting to get over-pseudo-mystical.

Except you might be misinterpreting that "everyone is a Discordian" thing, though. I don't think anyone's saying that everyone literally is a Discordian, but rather that all six billion people on Earth are just as much of a pope as Benedict is, because authority's an illusion, a societary hang-up, and Discordianism is supposed to be about personal empowerment instead of revering some priest and doing his laundry for him.
Chaplin Sinatra Fonzarelli, G.G.L.F., C.L.F., L.F.L.F., R.M.S.T.A., R.P.C.V., N.C.c., T.R.R.R., W.I.T.C.H., W.P.P., V.P.D.F.Y.S., S.C.U.M., I.G.R.S.A.F.D.S.K.S.K.J.J.J.S.Y.Y.D.F.D.K.D.S.F.K.S.D.K.J.L.K.F.G.K.S.D.G.G.J.R.J.S.T.S and other various divisions of the Maude Senger cabal of the Pantheo-Anametamystikhood of Eris Esoteric, and President for Life of the Holy Empire of Ayatollah Discordiolla

img]http://www.dontyouwantmebaby.com/fark/bond_077_hasselhoff_animate.gif[/img]

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Chaplin_Sinatra_FonzarellI strongly agree, Rog. Exactly what needed to be said right now. I think we're all starting to get over-pseudo-mystical.

Except you might be misinterpreting that "everyone is a Discordian" thing, though. I don't think anyone's saying that everyone literally is a Discordian, but rather that all six billion people on Earth are just as much of a pope as Benedict is, because authority's an illusion, a societary hang-up, and Discordianism is supposed to be about personal empowerment instead of revering some priest and doing his laundry for him.

Hogwash.

Don't lump ME in with Cletus and Jethro.

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

I say we march on a road of Discordians!

May as well eat ourselves first before the machine eats us.
"Time for the tin-foil hats, girls and boys!"

Zurtok Khan

Yes, yes, EAT ME, HUGH, EAT ME!

Pfft, Roger, you BELONG with Cletus and Jethro and their sister named Clide (incidently I share some amount of DNA with a woman named Clide...).
Resistance is Fertile.

Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more.
-Mark Twain

I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
-Mark Twain

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Zurtok KhanYes, yes, EAT ME, HUGH, EAT ME!

Pfft, Roger, you BELONG with Cletus and Jethro and their sister named Clide (incidently I share some amount of DNA with a woman named Clide...).

Yes, they ARE my people, for good or for ill.

And in 2 weeks, I'm going back where I belong.

Saint Fnordius

Quote from: LMNOFrom the PD...  take it for what it's worth:

Eristic Illusion = The belief that disorder is better than order.

Aneristic Illusion = The Belief that order is better than disorder.

"Aneristic" behaviour is usually referred to here as the majority of behaviour by Greyfaces.

Very important distinction: all to often people here get caught up in the Eristic (Discordian) Illusion, as so many humorless dolts are caught up in the Aneristic (Concordian) Illusion.

Therein lies the problem with defining Discordians: they do not worship Eris/Discordia, but they do recognise that chaos is just as important as order when egaging on a creative trip.

To me, though, the question is rather easily solved: a Discordian is anybody who considers himself one. No need to add members against their will (except for enlightenment and entertainment, of course). It has nothing to do with what rites you practice, what clothes you wear or your taste in music.

If in doubt, just remember the old mantra "Ha Ha Only Serious!"
The preceding post is better understood if you look at the fnords first