News:

PD.com forums: a disorganized echo-chamber full of concordian, Greyfaced radical left-wing nutjobs who honestly believe they can take down imaginary Nazis by distributing flyers. They are highly-suspicious of all newcomers and hostile to almost everyone, including themselves. The only thing they don't take seriously is Discordianism.

Main Menu

Magic: Who thinks they can do it, and why otherwise intelligent people buy it.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, December 29, 2009, 08:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: LMNO on January 11, 2010, 07:30:11 PM
There is a much lesser chance that genocide will break out if someone decides to use a mallet, however.

I'm not one for stretching a metaphor, but equating a hammer with a belief system is a little weak.

I am pretty sure he was equating a hammer with a funny hat actually.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

LMNO

No, I'm pretty sure he's smarter than that.  I hope.

Also, Dildoes.

Salty

As a (mostly former) Reiki Master, Tarot reader, avid Astrologer, and pretty damned experienced Chakra Therapist, I:

A) Find the temptation to delude myself is too great to risk.

B) Think what people do in their lives is their business, but shouldn't expect anything but harsh criticism in trying to validate any belief system or worldview that has no firm, immobile bottom-line. Like a hammer. In fact, that one thing, the demand this place makes on these concepts, is my favorite aspect of this place. It made me look at my delusions without comfort. I found myself constantly trying to validate my beliefs so that my world made sense.

C) Dildoes.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on January 11, 2010, 08:13:04 PM
No, I'm pretty sure he's smarter than that.  I hope.

Also, Dildoes.

Hammer = tool
Wand = tool
Alphabet = tool
Computer = tool

We can hammer in nails without a hammer, but it might hurt.
We can communicate without an alphabet, but only verbally and through picutres.
We can compute without a computer, but the math is hard and Instant Messages cost $0.44 and take a few days to show up.

Tools aren't necessary, but they often make reaching the goal easier.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

LMNO

A hammer hits things.

A holy ritual fools the mind.

The local carpenter's union will not decide it's ok to kill someone who uses a different implement to hit things.

The local priesthood will decide it's ok to kill someone who adheres to a different ritual.

Plus, dildoes.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on January 11, 2010, 08:23:10 PM
A hammer hits things.

The local carpenter's union will not decide it's ok to kill someone who uses a different implement to hit things.

The local priesthood will decide it's ok to kill someone who adheres to a different ritual.

Plus, dildoes.

The local Tribal Leaders will decide it's O.K. to kill someone who adheres to a different worldview, rituals or not. And 9 times out of 10, its likely that the 'difference' is just an excuse to behave like territorial monkeys.

I mean, your argument can apply to any view, any belief, any idea that diverges from the mainstream... shall we eschew them all?

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

East Coast Hustle

jesus tittyfucking christ, Rat, you not only don't get it but you're quite fucking intent on NOT getting it.

fat lot of good breaking free of your religious chains did.

fucking dildoes.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on January 11, 2010, 07:44:35 PM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on January 11, 2010, 07:37:42 PM
Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on January 11, 2010, 07:23:26 PM
Quote from: Guy Incognito on January 11, 2010, 07:16:06 PM
Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on January 11, 2010, 07:13:47 PM
Quote from: LMNO on January 11, 2010, 06:07:53 PM

Question: What's the harm in using occult trappings when trying to metaprogram?
Answer: If a person understands that the trappings are merely tools with which to metaprogram, nothing.  However, far too often many people do not understand that it is the body that is controlling the metaprogramming process, and not the tools.  They begin to believe (or never stopped beliving) that the Religion/Ritual/Magic Wand has a Truth and a Signifigance that is greater than the body's own ability to reprogram itself.

fuck yeah. that's what I've been trying to say for the last 20 pages, but I'm just not that eloquent.

No argument there.  One point I would like to make though, is that most of the time if a person understands that the trappings are merely tools with which to metaprogram then the tools aren't going to work.

that's just as well. If that person has any sort of worthwhile brain function, that will be the point at which they realize they never NEEDED the trappings in the first place. Though if it makes you feel better, I understand why you're so bent on not having to confront that scenario yourself.

ETA: I don't know if you're aware of this, but you really come off as a passive-aggressive dickweed.

A. Dickweed. YES.

B. I challenge you to truly enter the altered state created by group ritual, with no trappings whatsoever.

C. marijuana.

1. total dickweed.

2. OK, but since I'm not going to believe I doubt I'll find it effective. I'll try though, for SCIENCE.

3. sure, a little, and I'd be happy to share it. you've got my digits.

:lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

BabylonHoruv

You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

LMNO

Quote from: Doctor Rat Bastard on January 11, 2010, 08:26:40 PM
A hammer hits things.

Plus, dildoes.

The local Tribal Leaders will decide it's O.K. to kill someone who adheres to a different worldview, rituals or not. And 9 times out of 10, its likely that the 'difference' is just an excuse to behave like territorial monkeys.

I mean, your argument can apply to any view, any belief, any idea that diverges from the mainstream... shall we eschew them all?

A tribal leader is not a hammer.

Please adhere to your previous statements.

Shai Hulud

A hammer hits things.

This doesn't really show anything, just that both those tools operate on certain mechanisms.  They still can accomplish purposes, for good or evil.

I don't think this is a certainty.  What about Jimmy Hoffa (maybe a bad analogy, but this whole analogy is getting stretched as it is).  Like Rat Bastard said, non religious institutions aren't immune to territoriality. People can get killed for costing the union money just as easily as for a religious heresy that costs the church money.  Somebody a while back in this thread said it's a mistake to ignore power politics in morality, and it's also a mistake to ignore the way they factor into institutions, both religious and secular.    

LMNO

You're avoiding the point, too.

dildoes.

A TOOL THAT REQUIRES A BELIEF SYSTEM TO BE EFFECTIVE ENGENDERS CIRCUIT 2 BEHAVIOR.