Main Menu

Are we walking towards a dystopia?

Started by Mistre, April 24, 2012, 04:30:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nigel on April 24, 2012, 06:26:56 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 24, 2012, 05:32:09 PM
Quote from: Nigel on April 24, 2012, 05:30:49 PM
We're already in it, and there's no going back.

I disagree on both counts.

It's gonna get worse, and it's not gonna last.

I am not sure that's a disagreement. We're already in it, and it's going to get worse. There's no going back, and it's not gonna last.

Yep.  Because the forces driving the dystopia aren't real.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 24, 2012, 06:28:14 PM

I am not sure that's a disagreement. We're already in it, and it's going to get worse. There's no going back, and it's not gonna last.

It's just us, demanding it.  :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nigel on April 24, 2012, 06:57:54 PM

Yep.  Eventually, we'll get what we've been screaming for, and then our grandchildren will have to revolt and hang a bunch of bankers.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 24, 2012, 06:59:59 PM

Yep.  Eventually, we'll get what we've been screaming for, and then our grandchildren will have to revolt and hang a bunch of bankers.

There will come a time when the history books will say things like "Why didn't people stop it from happening?"

And no one will be left to explain that we didn't stop it because WE BEGGED FOR IT.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nigel on April 24, 2012, 07:24:46 PM

There will come a time when the history books will say things like "Why didn't people stop it from happening?"

And no one will be left to explain that we didn't stop it because WE BEGGED FOR IT.

We laugh at the Romans for putting lead in their plumbing.  I wonder what interesting things our descendants will laugh at us for, things that seemed totally harmless to us?
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 24, 2012, 07:29:16 PM

We laugh at the Romans for putting lead in their plumbing.  I wonder what interesting things our descendants will laugh at us for, things that seemed totally harmless to us?

Corporations.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nigel on April 24, 2012, 07:42:37 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 24, 2012, 07:29:16 PM

Corporations.

Yep.  They're an environmental factor, too.
Molon Lube

Salty

Oh man I can't wait for d..DYStopia?
Aw, man, I read that wrong.
First thing I thought when I saw the OP (not read it, mind you. Though I have since)

The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

NewSpag

No. We are marching towards a Utopia.  You just haven't realised it yet.
QuoteOne day I realized life was pointless.  I've been celebrating ever since.
There's beauty in everything so lets destroy it all together.
Sometimes Always is Never.  For everything else there's Mastercard.

AFK

Well, I guess I take more of a biocentric view of this.  Humankind, I think it is safe to say, has an expiration date, regardless of what societies do or don't do. 

I also think, as with any kind of species, scarcity of resources, and competition for those scarce resources, is going to cause all kinds of bad news.  I mean, that is really what is at the heart of all this, whether we want to call it a dystopia, or just part of the human condition.

Now, I don't say this to suggest or promote a general acceptance of the state of humankind societies. 

Indeed, we should continuously be looking to improve situations, to improve the lot of life for more of human kind.  But to take the 1,000,000 ft view, it is pretty much impossible to ever guarantee comfortable lives for all.  Not when there are 7 or 8 Billion of us running around this rock.  I say this not to suggest picking and choosing who to help or who not to help.  Not at all.  I say this for perspective and to not miss targets while shooting for the moon. 

I personally think labeling it as a "dystopia", might miss the point.  It's a continuing evolution of the competition for resources.  And as always, those with the might, as we all well understand, win the spoils. 

There are many opportunities to effect change, but it is small "c" change.  Big C, Change, massive global change, I think, is just not possible.  Not without a strong, unified, AND MASSIVE, network of change agents. 

I think the challenge lies in the fact that the rationing and control of resources has become globalized, but the efforts to ensure more equitable access and distribution have not gone global.  It is pocket resistance against a monster that spans continents.  The playing field, obviously, is very lopsided.

So what can we do?

I guess, where possible, plug into whatever global efforts for change may exist, however scarce they may be.  Simultaneously, continuing to focus on our own communities.  Look for opportunities for positive change within the framework that we have.  Going to your local school board meeting to holler at school board members who are suggesting poor kids don't need free lunches.  It doesn't stop the march to the "dystopia", it doesn't defeat The Machine, but it might put a few more soldiers on the field fighting for our side.  (Not to mention the obvious benefit of having more kids who are well fed and able to focus on their education.)

This requires sustained effort, an unwavering commitment.  This requires creativity.  And it definitely requires patience.  Work the margins.  Locally it can seem hopeless, but there is always the hope of cumulative impact. 

But we get nowhere staring into the charred black voids. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Oysters Rockefeller

Quote from: Insanity on April 26, 2012, 07:41:39 AM

This.

Or actually, if I'm being 100% honest, we're probably not moving in any one direction. I mean, war and corrupt politics have always been a thing. But we are very slowly fading out old prejudices and establishing a new civil rights.

On the other hand, I can't look out into the world without going "Jesus FUCK we are all going to die."

Probably for every horrible step backwards we take, there is a similar step forward. Although, in the long, long, long run we're all going to be screwed without question. Like RWHN pointed out, humankind has an expiration date.

Or I'm just an asshole.
Well, my gynecologist committed suicide...
----------------------
I'm nothing if not kind of ridiculous and a little hard to take seriously.
----------------------
Moar liek Oysters Cockefeller, amirite?!

Doktor Howl

How many millions will have to die to make this utopia work out?

But they don't count, right?  Eggs/omelets/etc.
Molon Lube

Cainad (dec.)

"Utopia," only in the sense that there won't be any people around to fuck things up and be horrible to each other. Because there won't be any people.

Cain

I'll buy that....if we're talking about the literal translation of Utopia.

Phox

Quote from: Cain on April 26, 2012, 02:42:42 PM

I'll buy that....if we're talking about the literal translation of Utopia.
I'll agree there.  :lol: