News:

So essentially, the enemy of my enemy is not my friend, he's just another moronic, entitled turd in the bucket.

Main Menu

Pharm parties-Rx abuse

Started by AFK, October 08, 2009, 06:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: fomenter on October 08, 2009, 08:12:38 PM
i doubt it is random as well, there may be some kids doing that, but i would bet that kid are attaching social status to being knowledgeable about effects and dosages of drugs, (the kids that "knew stuff " were the cool ones way back when, and i suspect it still works like that)

if the number of kids swallowing random sized hand fulls of random prescriptions were high so would overdose and death rates, kids are surely taking risks but common sense must keep the amounts of truly random drug mixing limited  

Has anyone bothered checking with the CDC's website?  They track shit like this.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

AFK

Quote from: fictionpuss on October 08, 2009, 08:08:31 PM
And while it's neither desirable or responsible for kids to be taking recreational drugs, it is relatively more responsible for kids to be swapping/trading known drugs than putting them into a bowl and grabbing random handfuls.

You're splitting hairs here.  Whether they are putting them in a bowl or a small pile on a table, social Rx abuse is social Rx abuse.  It's the same idea.  Put some Rx drugs together and treat it like a buffet.  And even when they "know" what they are taking, do you really think they have any idea of what the drug is going to do to them?  Sure, they know it's a Nexium pill, but do they really know what's going to happen when they take it?  No.  Of course not.  There is no such thing as "relatively more responsible" in either scenario.  
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on October 08, 2009, 08:09:08 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on October 08, 2009, 07:56:10 PM
Is there really a big difference between a group of kids dumping Rx drugs in a bowl and swapping and a group of kids swapping a small handful of drugs?  Especially when, depending on what you are taking, the first one or two pills could put you in the ER anyway?  Either way what is happening is kids are randomly taking random Rx drugs without concern of what they are and what they will do to them.  Seriously, we're arguing about a label when the important thing is the behavior and the negative impacts it can have on kids. 
In the long run there isn't much difference, which is why it makes no sense that they would push a questionable meme about Pharming Parties. It's better to tell the truth about what is going on rather than pushing urban legends with almost no backing. As Roger allude to, there is the DARE effect when it comes to stuff like this. If you push too many exaggerations and flat out lies you will lose all of your credibility when they discover the truth. They will think "Hey, they lied about how bad marijuana is so they must have been lying about cocaine and meth too."

THIS EXACTLY.

QuoteIs there really a big difference between a group of kids dumping Rx drugs in a bowl and swapping and a group of kids swapping a small handful of drugs?

Is there a big difference between Saddam being an evil dictator who killed people and should probably not run a country... and Saddam having WMD's that he could shoot at friendly countries in 20 minutes?

Both say he's a bad guy and shouldn't run the country...

For me that's the key... Scary honest facts versus Scary maybes and Scary hyperbole.

I KNOW that some drugs can destroy lives, I've seen it happen. I don't want kids to think there's no risk or problem... but, if they can't trust the intel, then who will back the war?
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

LMNO

Oh, for fuck's sake.

As far back as '92 (personal story):

Party.  Alcohol.  Pot.  Some LSD.  Maybe some coke.  A handful of underage kids.  Door opens, some guy comes in with that iconic amber plastic bottle with the white cap.  Hands outstretched. No questions asked  Small white pills placed in palms. 

Does it really matter if it's a pharm party or a party with pharms?

AFK

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on October 08, 2009, 08:09:08 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on October 08, 2009, 07:56:10 PM
Is there really a big difference between a group of kids dumping Rx drugs in a bowl and swapping and a group of kids swapping a small handful of drugs?  Especially when, depending on what you are taking, the first one or two pills could put you in the ER anyway?  Either way what is happening is kids are randomly taking random Rx drugs without concern of what they are and what they will do to them.  Seriously, we're arguing about a label when the important thing is the behavior and the negative impacts it can have on kids.  
In the long run there isn't much difference, which is why it makes no sense that they would push a questionable meme about Pharming Parties.

Well, I'm not sure there is really a lot of "pushing" of the meme.  Maybe on the internet and on blogs, etc., but in the actual education, most of what happens is researched.  When we educate on Rx abuse we focus on the central facts around the harm it does.  And we do talk about social use, which DOES happen.  But it's not like we get in front of kids and start shouting about "teh evil pharm parties" or anything like that.  And I haven't seen any ads on TV about them either.  

QuoteIt's better to tell the truth about what is going on rather than pushing urban legends with almost no backing. As Roger allude to, there is the DARE effect when it comes to stuff like this. If you push too many exaggerations and flat out lies you will lose all of your credibility when they discover the truth. They will think "Hey, they lied about how bad marijuana is so they must have been lying about cocaine and meth too."

DARE is on the outside looking in at this point.  The current trend in substance abuse prevention is evidence based strategies.  All of the funding these days requires evidence based programs and practices.  Which means the education that is going out now, the education not the TV ads, is based upon science and research.  Meanwhile, there IS a lot of disinformation on the web, on BOTH sides of the issue.  In my experience for every exaggerated claim about the evils of marijuana there are claims that heroin is no big deal.  

fomenter

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 08, 2009, 08:13:48 PM
i doubt it is random as well, there may be some kids doing that, but i would bet that kid are attaching social status to being knowledgeable about effects and dosages of drugs, (the kids that "knew stuff " were the cool ones way back when, and i suspect it still works like that)

if the number of kids swallowing random sized hand fulls of random prescriptions were high so would overdose and death rates, kids are surely taking risks but common sense must keep the amounts of truly random drug mixing limited  

Has anyone bothered checking with the CDC's website?  They track shit like this.

i just took a look but i cant find/separate out overdose from recreational overdose or find kids partying specific stats .. they may be there its hard to search out for someone who is unfamiliar with the site
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

AFK

Sure, you have the "pharmacists" who know what they are taking, and selling/giving away.  Those are the drug addicts.  They seek out what they like.  
The kids who will pop whatever is in front of them are the experimenters.  Eventually they'll become a "pharmacist".  

AFK

Quote from: fomenter on October 08, 2009, 08:24:37 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 08, 2009, 08:13:48 PM

Has anyone bothered checking with the CDC's website?  They track shit like this.

i just took a look but i cant find/separate out overdose from recreational overdose or find kids parting specific stats .. they may be there its hard to search out for someone who is unfamiliar with the site

SAMHSA is a better site for federal stats on substance use.  Be forwarned, it is a bitch to navigate. 

fomenter

"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on October 08, 2009, 08:15:24 PM
And while it's neither desirable or responsible for kids to be taking recreational drugs, it is relatively more responsible for kids to be swapping/trading known drugs than putting them into a bowl and grabbing random handfuls.

You're splitting hairs here.  Whether they are putting them in a bowl or a small pile on a table, social Rx abuse is social Rx abuse.  It's the same idea.  Put some Rx drugs together and treat it like a buffet.  And even when they "know" what they are taking, do you really think they have any idea of what the drug is going to do to them?  Sure, they know it's a Nexium pill, but do they really know what's going to happen when they take it?  No.  Of course not.  There is no such thing as "relatively more responsible" in either scenario.  
It sounds like you're speaking from a background of "zero tolerance" - where there is no benefit to be gained from distinguishing between "stupid" and "incredibly stupid" behaviour.

Cain

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on October 08, 2009, 07:24:18 PM
I just don't understand why we spend so much money and effort on keeping idiots alive until they're old enough to make more idiots.

LMNO

Quote from: fictionpuss on October 08, 2009, 08:42:41 PM
It sounds like you're speaking from a background of "zero tolerance" - where there is no benefit to be gained from distinguishing between "stupid" and "incredibly stupid" behaviour.

Are you fucking kidding me?

Please say you're kidding me.

AFK

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on October 08, 2009, 08:15:24 PM

So, you think I'm going to stand up in front of a bunch of kids and say, "Well, if you're going to abuse Rx drugs, at least know what you're taking." ??  Really?

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: LMNO on October 08, 2009, 08:21:31 PM
Oh, for fuck's sake.

As far back as '92 85 (personal story):

Party.  Alcohol.  Pot.  Some LSD.  A LOT OF ACID!!!  Maybe some coke.  A handful of underage kids.  Door opens, some guy comes in with that iconic amber plastic bottle with the white cap.  Hands outstretched. No questions asked  Small white pills placed in palms. 

Does it really matter if it's a pharm party or a party with pharms?

My changes, and I agree that kids using pharm drugs is a serious issue here in the US!!

Captain Utopia

Quote from: LMNO on October 08, 2009, 08:44:31 PM

Are you fucking kidding me?

Please say you're kidding me.
Not at all.