Started by Golden Applesauce, August 08, 2012, 04:47:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Phox, The Abdicator on August 08, 2012, 05:44:41 AM
Quote from: Joh'Nyx on August 08, 2012, 05:42:30 AM
Quote from: Phox, The Abdicator on August 08, 2012, 05:12:00 AM
Quote from: Joh'Nyx on August 08, 2012, 04:52:13 AM

Give it a day or two.

This not only happens with spicy food, that can happen with synthetic candies that are meant to be "sour".
Jesus fuck, I've burned my tastebuds off (metaphorically, if not literally) for a few hours with sour candy before, but never for two days. (Then again, I didn't eat half a pound, either)...

The day when it happened it felt like i had actually burnt it with boiling water (kind of like when one actually burns oneself with a hot soup or a hot coffee)

Makes me wonder what kind of acids and their ph power are instilled in sour candies...

I mean, sour candies and spicy stuff is actually a type of acid right?
Yeah, it actually does feel like you scalded it. (And I've scalded my tongue enough to know).  :lulz:

I'm not sure, but I would be inclined to believe it's the acidic elements that do it, yeah.

Hmmm... this does raise interesting questions about the chemical make up of spice.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Juana

Give it a day or two.

This not only happens with spicy food, that can happen with synthetic candies that are meant to be "sour".
Jesus fuck, I've burned my tastebuds off (metaphorically, if not literally) for a few hours with sour candy before, but never for two days. (Then again, I didn't eat half a pound, either)...

The day when it happened it felt like i had actually burnt it with boiling water (kind of like when one actually burns oneself with a hot soup or a hot coffee)

Makes me wonder what kind of acids and their ph power are instilled in sour candies...

Sour candies are as acidic as car batteries, apparently.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Phox

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on August 08, 2012, 05:49:50 AM

Give it a day or two.

Sour candies are as acidic as car batteries, apparently.
And a good number of acids taste sour, so that stands to reason.

Nephew Twiddleton

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Nephew Hiroshima on August 08, 2012, 05:48:00 AM

Give it a day or two.

Yeah, it actually does feel like you scalded it. (And I've scalded my tongue enough to know).  :lulz:

I'm not sure, but I would be inclined to believe it's the acidic elements that do it, yeah.

Hmmm... this does raise interesting questions about the chemical make up of spice.

The spicy chemicals in hot peppers are alkaloid. I believe that so are the ones in horseradish. But of course, some of the most dangerous chemicals are alkaloids.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Phox

Quote from: Dear Departed Uncle Nigel on August 08, 2012, 06:29:48 AM
Quote from: Nephew Hiroshima on August 08, 2012, 05:48:00 AM

Give it a day or two.

The spicy chemicals in hot peppers are alkaloid. I believe that so are the ones in horseradish. But of course, some of the most dangerous chemicals are alkaloids.
Hmm, quite true Nigel, quite true.

Freeky

Quote from: Nephew Hiroshima on August 08, 2012, 05:43:03 AM
Quote from: Phox, The Abdicator on August 08, 2012, 05:40:32 AM
Quote from: Joh'Nyx on August 08, 2012, 05:38:26 AM

Just try to eat non abrasive and as close to non-flavoured foods as you can find for a while.
This is actual sound advice. Or, alternatively, you can eat nothing but wasabi covered orange slices. Hair of the dog, and Discordian penance all in one.

Actually, you should outdo yourself and regularly spray mace in your mouth. I've seen people eat mace. It happened at the meetup Trip came to in Connecticut.
I knew a guy who did that, to show how mace isn't a big deal.  When me and his girlfriend started retching from the small amount of mist that ended up not going in his mouth, he went into the bathroom and sprayed it in the sink.

QuoteAlso, don't decide to go for a walk to the nearest store for ciggies in Connecticut. You won't get there and you'll run into Richter who will get concerned about your heat exhaustion.

:lol:

The Johnny

One can build certain resistance to certain substances...

i mean geez, if one eats wasabi every single day (or pepper spray for that matter), after a while it stops bothering you -

either because you destroyed your nerves or because you are used to it.

English breakfast tea used to make me wretch, but now it seems ok.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Phox

Quote from: Joh'Nyx on August 08, 2012, 07:01:06 AM

One can build certain resistance to certain substances...

i mean geez, if one eats wasabi every single day (or pepper spray for that matter), after a while it stops bothering you -

either because you destroyed your nerves or because you are used to it.

English breakfast tea used to make me wretch, but now it seems ok.
I've never lost taste from eating spicy foods, but (as previously mentioned) have from sour candy.

I wonder if that's because I indulge i spicy foods with far more frequency? Interesting to ponder.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on August 08, 2012, 06:47:15 AM
Quote from: Nephew Hiroshima on August 08, 2012, 05:43:03 AM
Quote from: Phox, The Abdicator on August 08, 2012, 05:40:32 AM
Quote from: Joh'Nyx on August 08, 2012, 05:38:26 AM

Just try to eat non abrasive and as close to non-flavoured foods as you can find for a while.
This is actual sound advice. Or, alternatively, you can eat nothing but wasabi covered orange slices. Hair of the dog, and Discordian penance all in one.

Actually, you should outdo yourself and regularly spray mace in your mouth. I've seen people eat mace. It happened at the meetup Trip came to in Connecticut.
I knew a guy who did that, to show how mace isn't a big deal.  When me and his girlfriend started retching from the small amount of mist that ended up not going in his mouth, he went into the bathroom and sprayed it in the sink.

QuoteAlso, don't decide to go for a walk to the nearest store for ciggies in Connecticut. You won't get there and you'll run into Richter who will get concerned about your heat exhaustion.

:lol:

True story. Mind you, I ran into Richter et al about an hour after I left.

That was one big ass hill.

I ended up bumming off of Dimo.

Golden Applesauce

Wiki dive reporting!

I had thought that capsaicin (chili peppers) and allyl isothiocyanate (horseradish / wasabi) tasted spicy because they were either highly acidic or highly basic, and that what you were tasting was an actual chemical burn.

Turns out that they just bind to the protein (TRPV1) that's normally turned on by fire or boiling water and is involved in body temperature. So as far as your senses are concerned, you might as well be lighting matches against your tongue, but you aren't actually causing permanent tissue damage. Allyl isothiocyanate also binds to TRPA1, which as far as I can tell exists only to make it painful to eat tear gas and other toxic substances.

Which is good, because I still have 1/3 of the bag left and after you get over the primal burning sensation they're pretty tasty.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Yes, I was gonna mention that, but you beat me to it. To steal from the show Good Eats, our taste buds are kind of like a lock, specific types of compounds unlock specific taste buds, completing a circuit and sending the signal 'salty', 'sweet', 'sour' etc. Capcasin, is like a taste bud hacker and unlocks any taste bud it comes in contact with. That confuses the whole system and the brain responds with 'hot'. Or in some cases, 'HOLYFUCKINGHELLWHATDIDYOUJUSTSTICKINYOURMOUTH, STUPIDMONKEY!'

:lulz:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Good Reverend Roger

Ladies and not-ladies, this is why it's important to make sure you fully understand what something is before putting it in your mouth. Unless you are Roger.

MAKE SPARE MONEY AT HOME!
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on August 08, 2012, 03:01:53 PM
Ladies and not-ladies, this is why it's important to make sure you fully understand what something is before putting it in your mouth. Unless you are Roger.

:spittake:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on August 08, 2012, 03:43:15 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on August 08, 2012, 03:01:53 PM

:spittake:

That's what the ad said.  "MAKE $$$ WORKING AT HOME!"

What they DIDN'T tell me is that the Rotary Club convention was in town, and every last one of those perverts has a thing for jamming fingers in your ear.  Now I'm deaf.

THANKS A LOT, OBAMA!
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.