News:

Sometimes I rattle the cage and beat my head uselessly against its bars, but sometimes, I can shake one loose and use it as a dildo.

Main Menu

Serious question: spicy food

Started by Golden Applesauce, August 08, 2012, 04:47:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Golden Applesauce

I am not a spicy food person. So I bought half a pound of wasabi-coated peanuts. At first I had to hold my breath while eating them or else the vapors would burn my nose interior. I kept at it anyway, because I'm fundamentally lazy and they didn't require any cooking.

So now the first 2cm of my tongue is incapable of tasting anything, for about two days now. All I get is the texture. Peanut butter is like this fatty sludge, which I suppose it always was, but without the peanut taste it just feels like straight lard.

Do taste buds grow back? Am I just fucked forever?
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

The Johnny

Give it a day or two.

This not only happens with spicy food, that can happen with synthetic candies that are meant to be "sour".
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

hooplala

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on August 08, 2012, 04:47:26 AM
I am not a spicy food person. So I bought half a pound of wasabi-coated peanuts.

derp
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Nephew Twiddleton

The length of time is a bit odd. I'm quite fond of spicy food myself and my favorite drink is tequila with ghost pepper sauce mixed in. But you have to work your way up to that sort of thing. Even with my preferences I sometimes get unpleasantly surprised. I haven't had ghost pepper sauce in a while and tequila is my birthday drink, and my birthday was yesterday and I licked the bottom of the shot glass and..... Put an ice cube immediately in my mouth. But my sense of taste was not damaged, and that's the hottest thing that is naturally occurring. As a point of comparison, mace is, I think, twice as strong and it doesn't cause permanent blindness. If it continues, see a doctor.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Hoopla on August 08, 2012, 05:02:00 AM
I am not a spicy food person. So I bought half a pound of wasabi-coated peanuts.

derp

I thought wasabi was Japanese for "guacamole with a little kick." I was not expecting powdered acid.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on August 08, 2012, 05:06:34 AM

derp

I thought wasabi was Japanese for "guacamole with a little kick." I was not expecting powdered acid.

You have to work your way up. Wasabi isn't exactly tobasco sauce.

Phox

Quote from: Joh'Nyx on August 08, 2012, 04:52:13 AM

Give it a day or two.

This not only happens with spicy food, that can happen with synthetic candies that are meant to be "sour".
Jesus fuck, I've burned my tastebuds off (metaphorically, if not literally) for a few hours with sour candy before, but never for two days. (Then again, I didn't eat half a pound, either)...

still, seems a bit much, dude.

derp

Ladies and not-ladies, this is why it's important to make sure you fully understand what something is before putting it in your mouth. Unless you are Roger. In that case, for best effect, don't even know what it is called. It might spoil the surprise.  :lol:

Don Coyote

derp

:lulz:

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Phox, The Abdicator on August 08, 2012, 05:12:00 AM

Give it a day or two.

Jesus fuck, I've burned my tastebuds off (metaphorically, if not literally) for a few hours with sour candy before, but never for two days. (Then again, I didn't eat half a pound, either)...

still, seems a bit much, dude.

derp

Ladies and not-ladies, this is why it's important to make sure you fully understand what something is before putting it in your mouth. Unless you are Roger. In that case, for best effect, don't even know what it is called. It might spoil the surprise.  :lol:

This.

Quote from: Guru Quixote on August 08, 2012, 05:16:56 AM

derp

:lulz:

And this.

At the first sign of loss of sense of taste, you should have stopped.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

derp

Horseradish. Yummy green horseradish.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Johnny

Just try to eat non abrasive and as close to non-flavoured foods as you can find for a while.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Phox

Quote from: Joh'Nyx on August 08, 2012, 05:38:26 AM

Just try to eat non abrasive and as close to non-flavoured foods as you can find for a while.
This is actual sound advice. Or, alternatively, you can eat nothing but wasabi covered orange slices. Hair of the dog, and Discordian penance all in one.

The Johnny

Give it a day or two.

The day when it happened it felt like i had actually burnt it with boiling water (kind of like when one actually burns oneself with a hot soup or a hot coffee)

Makes me wonder what kind of acids and their ph power are instilled in sour candies...

I mean, sour candies and spicy stuff is actually a type of acid right?

-B.F. Skinner

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Phox, The Abdicator on August 08, 2012, 05:40:32 AM
Quote from: Joh'Nyx on August 08, 2012, 05:38:26 AM

This is actual sound advice. Or, alternatively, you can eat nothing but wasabi covered orange slices. Hair of the dog, and Discordian penance all in one.

Actually, you should outdo yourself and regularly spray mace in your mouth. I've seen people eat mace. It happened at the meetup Trip came to in Connecticut.

Also, don't decide to go for a walk to the nearest store for ciggies in Connecticut. You won't get there and you'll run into Richter who will get concerned about your heat exhaustion.

Phox

Quote from: Joh'Nyx on August 08, 2012, 05:42:30 AM

Give it a day or two.

The day when it happened it felt like i had actually burnt it with boiling water (kind of like when one actually burns oneself with a hot soup or a hot coffee)

Makes me wonder what kind of acids and their ph power are instilled in sour candies...

I mean, sour candies and spicy stuff is actually a type of acid right?
Yeah, it actually does feel like you scalded it. (And I've scalded my tongue enough to know).  :lulz:

I'm not sure, but I would be inclined to believe it's the acidic elements that do it, yeah.