News:

I liked how they introduced her, like "her mother died in an insane asylum thinking she was Queen Victoria" and my thought was, I like where I think this is going. I was not disappointed.

Main Menu

Serious question: spicy food

Started by Golden Applesauce, August 08, 2012, 04:47:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

I found wasabi flavoured potato chips in the Czech republic.  And they were awesome. Even if I didn't realise that was what they were until I stuffed a whole bunch of them in mouth.  So shut up, all of you.

Freeky

I'm seeing a recurring theme with PDites and a lack of knowledge about the things that they put in their mouths.  :lol:  This is one of the many things I love about PD, the reason for which there is none.

The Johnny

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on August 08, 2012, 12:59:45 PM
Wiki dive reporting!

I had thought that capsaicin (chili peppers) and allyl isothiocyanate (horseradish / wasabi) tasted spicy because they were either highly acidic or highly basic, and that what you were tasting was an actual chemical burn.

Turns out that they just bind to the protein (TRPV1) that's normally turned on by fire or boiling water and is involved in body temperature. So as far as your senses are concerned, you might as well be lighting matches against your tongue, but you aren't actually causing permanent tissue damage. Allyl isothiocyanate also binds to TRPA1, which as far as I can tell exists only to make it painful to eat tear gas and other toxic substances.

Which is good, because I still have 1/3 of the bag left and after you get over the primal burning sensation they're pretty tasty.

Nice!
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: Hoopla on August 08, 2012, 05:02:00 AM
Quote from: Golden Applesauce on August 08, 2012, 04:47:26 AM
I am not a spicy food person. So I bought half a pound of wasabi-coated peanuts.

derp

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaahahahahahahahahahaaaa!

Hoooooooooooooooo.... hoo boy.

fucking perfect  :lol:

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Nephew Hiroshima on August 08, 2012, 05:43:03 AM
Quote from: Phox, The Abdicator on August 08, 2012, 05:40:32 AM
Quote from: Joh'Nyx on August 08, 2012, 05:38:26 AM

Just try to eat non abrasive and as close to non-flavoured foods as you can find for a while.
This is actual sound advice. Or, alternatively, you can eat nothing but wasabi covered orange slices. Hair of the dog, and Discordian penance all in one.

Actually, you should outdo yourself and regularly spray mace in your mouth. I've seen people eat mace. It happened at the meetup Trip came to in Connecticut.

Richter tossed the can's salad and didn't leave any for the rest of us!

QuoteAlso, don't decide to go for a walk to the nearest store for ciggies in Connecticut. You won't get there and you'll run into Richter who will get concerned about your heat exhaustion.

Dude, you looked like death.  You looked like you'd decided you didn't want to live anymore and walked into the humid soupy heat until you collapsed.

Quote from: Sir Squid Diddimus on August 09, 2012, 01:11:23 AM
I am not a spicy food person. So I bought half a pound of wasabi-coated peanuts.

derp

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I second this.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on August 09, 2012, 01:28:42 AM
Quote from: Nephew Hiroshima on August 08, 2012, 05:43:03 AM
Quote from: Phox, The Abdicator on August 08, 2012, 05:40:32 AM
Quote from: Joh'Nyx on August 08, 2012, 05:38:26 AM

Just try to eat non abrasive and as close to non-flavoured foods as you can find for a while.
This is actual sound advice. Or, alternatively, you can eat nothing but wasabi covered orange slices. Hair of the dog, and Discordian penance all in one.

Actually, you should outdo yourself and regularly spray mace in your mouth. I've seen people eat mace. It happened at the meetup Trip came to in Connecticut.

Richter tossed the can's salad and didn't leave any for the rest of us!

QuoteAlso, don't decide to go for a walk to the nearest store for ciggies in Connecticut. You won't get there and you'll run into Richter who will get concerned about your heat exhaustion.

Dude, you looked like death.  You looked like you'd decided you didn't want to live anymore and walked into the humid soupy heat until you collapsed.

Nah, that was sheer determination/dehydration leading to poor judgment. I was going to get those cigarettes, goddamn it, I've come this far and I'm sure that hill's summit was just around the corner.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

East Coast Hustle

Wasabi isn't even really spicy, it's more like just EXTREMELY pungent. But it doesn't linger.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

derp

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I feel another episode of EXTREME FOOD CHALLENGE coming on!

SQUIDDY, WHAT WILL YOU EAT???

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Sir Squid Diddimus

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Sir Squid Diddimus on August 09, 2012, 03:33:14 AM
A pound of durian candy. You?

Six quarts of popcorn with brewer's yeast, and a tin of sardines. I'm calling this "dinner".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I could get something weirder, but that's what I have on hand and what I was already eating.

East Coast Hustle

Speaking of durian, I found small bottles of concentrated durian flavoring extract at Fubonn.

Needless to say, I intend to perpetrate unspeakable horrors.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Echo Chamber Music on August 09, 2012, 04:55:39 AM
Speaking of durian, I found small bottles of concentrated durian flavoring extract at Fubonn.

Needless to say, I intend to perpetrate unspeakable horrors.

IS THAT EVEN LEGAL?  :aaa:

hooplala

derp

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

:wink:
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Dark Monk

I found this on a date with the wifey yesterday:

It's so hot THE PLASTIC CRACKED!
I thought this is all there is,
but now I know you are so much more.
I want to upgrade from my simple eight bits,
but will you still love me when I'm sixty-four?
~MIAB~